DMC-G5 / GH2 choosen #1 & #2 cameras!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Though I don't consider Consumer Reports to be a leading authority on digital cameras, their evaluations do consider many important factors that make up the total customer satisfaction package.

I was surprised to see this month's issue rate the mirrorless "SLR-like" cameras, choosing DMC-G5 as the first choice, followed by the DMC-GH2.

#1: DMC-G5
    #2 DMC-GH2
    #3 Olympus OM-D E-M5
    #4 Samsung NX-20
    #5 Nikon 1 V1

In the Advanced Point and Shoot cameras Panasonic's DMC-FZ200 also took the #1 spot.

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm glad M43 took the top 3 spots :D

3. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    I don't know about Consumer Reports (presumably an American publication/site) but there's no way I'd take the GH2 over either the OMD or G5. I had one, and while I liked the ergonomics, I hated the LCD and the shutter lag. Apart from video (which isn't a biggie for me) I'd rate the GH2 behind both the OMD and G5, both are smaller, much better LCD's, no shutter lag and have some significant improvements over the GH2 which are much more useful, a digital level being another.
    The GH2 is a nice camera in some ways but has some important flaws, which as a previous user, I'm pretty familiar with.

4. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    These ratings seem suspect when the Nikon V1 and Samsung NX-20 are in the top 5

5. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I've had two GH2's and loved them both. Yes, flaws, but a major step forward for M43 in every respect. G5 as well. Watch this space and what Panny is up to. I hope OLY can get the kinks out of the OMD, especially in the menu department.

6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I also own a GH2 and the shutter lag when using it with the Panny 20/1.7 annoys me bigtime, even when prefocussed. If you use it wide-open it's fine, if you stop down in good light it becomes very slow. Other lenses behave similarly but not nearly as bad. How is that on the G5? I'm asking because I'm seriously considering to buy a G5 because of its electronic shutter.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You need to understand that CR isn't looking at these things from the serious enthusiast's viewpoint. They're looking at both overall IQ for typical use, which is web viewing and small prints. And I suspect extremely high ISO capabilities aren't very important to their ratings. They also look heavily at ease of use, and I have to agree that Panasonic comes out ahead here, especially for a new user.

For the typical family snapshooter, the Nikon is probably just fine. I don't really know anything about the Samsung.

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

You are correct

You are absolutely correct! People buy products for different reasons, and what's important to one person is not, to someone else. CR (Consumer Reports) has a very long standing reputation for evaluating products from a practical standpoint. What's adds to their credibility is that they don't have advertising, and do very little communicating with the manufacturers of the products they evaluate.

I expected many people to disagree with CR's choices, but I thought it was worth sharing.