1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DMC-FZ100 images

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by texascbx, Aug 26, 2010.

1. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    I know it's not a micro four third camera, but I've been wanting one since the new FZ100 came out. The thought of a 24x zoom and 1080p video overwhelmed me so I bought one. The images it takes are just not that great. It's focus is very fast and the five frames it can shoot in RAW with constant auto focus is cool. The zoom is very good too. The optical image stabilization is very good.

It's going back though. Maybe it's me, but it just does not cut it for me. I can't get used to the zoom lever, the manual focus is pretty hard to get right with that little wheel. I think they just simply crammed too many mega-pixels into a tiny sensor. I'm getting a G2 instead or maybe if I get brave, I may get a GH1 as soon as I get my store credit.

Don't tell my wife.:eek::biggrin:

By the way, the red dog is totally blind, her optic nerves were severed by a surgeon because of really bad glaucoma and her eyes are artificial. Both dogs were rescued by me.

Code:
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" width="640" height="480" align="" src="http://www.zenfolio.com/zf/code/slideshow/embedded.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="id=551109718&background=0xf5f5f5&delay=5&transition=2&loop=1&random=0&allowfs=1&allowthumbs=1&showlink=1&allowtitles=0&showtitles=1&autostart=1&allowtopbar=1&allowcontrols=1&transparent=0&loop_music=1&frame=0xcccccc&preloader=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zenfolio.com%2Fzf%2Fcode%2Fslideshow%2F002.swf&preloader_params=color%3D0xffffff"></embed>

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Ricky, thanks for this mini review on the DMC-FZ100, but more importantly on your dogs. I'm sorry that your Irish setter, red dog, had to have her optic nerves operated on and severed, but I am so glad you and your wife have given her a good home with your other dog. Your red dog is obviously at home.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Ricky for the FZ100 review and your story of the two dogs !

• Like Like x 1
  4. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for your comments. I left out the fact that the FZ100 leaves two black areas on the image when the lens is at the wide end with the lens hood is on. So the lens hood is not straight like it should be, it's does not align with the axis of the camera. The petals that protrude on the lens hood don't have the cutouts in the right place. The lens hood will only go on one way, similar to the lens hood on the 14-45 lens on my G1. It's easy enough to crop the little areas out in the upper right and lower left areas. But that could be why it is not taking very sharp images too since the lens is not aligned properly.

The biggest problem may be the pinhead sensor with 14 mega-pixels though. My old DMC-FZ50 with 10 mega-pixels had a bigger sensor. I got the RMA from B & H yesterday with no problem though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I can recommend the GH1.