1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[DIY] Triggering a camera by playing an audio signal?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by F1L1P, Nov 10, 2014.

1. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    I'm interested if I can trigger my Panasonic camera with audio signal from my cellphone.
    If I connect my Panasonic camera to some audio source by wire, would it be possible to trigger my camera by playing audio signal?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ... yes it is possible, I made an interface for my M-5, it works excellent. I'll send a link when I get home and on my computer ......

3. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    • Like Like x 1
  4. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    Cool, I'm looking forward to it, thx!

Great app. This works with triggertrap cable or any audio cable?

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    You need the trigger trap cable. I use this with my E-M5 and it works great.

6. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    The cable is in two part...the one that goes to the phone and another one goes to the camera...the one that go to the phone has some electronics on the other end that receive the cable from the camera...so I don't think you can use a regular audio cable.

7. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    If you have an Android phone, the sound trigger won't work. You need an iOS device to properly use the sound trigger.

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Using a tape recorder from the 80s with voice activation connected to a flash trigger with a second flash trigger connected to the camera via the usb port(standard trigger cable).

Plug a mic into the the voice recorder so you can put it closer or further to what you want, adjust the gain til the sensitivity is what you desire and go for gold.

The same basic setup can be used to trigger flashes for high speed work (open shutter, flash trigger actually on flash, sound of something hitting water or balloon popping... whatever... will trigger it).

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country