DIY repair of E-PL2 black screen possible?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by robogeek, Aug 19, 2013.

1. robogeek

robogeek New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    David Herron
    I have had an E-PL2 for a couple years and been fairly happy with it.

On Friday I'd done some shooting in the morning, at the Tesla factory in Fremont, and then in the afternoon went to do some other shooting elsewhere. But the LCD screen wouldn't show anything whereas in the morning it had been fine.

Behavior :- Camera turns on as normal, power light shows, can hear motors whirring, and the LCD changes the shade of black it has. But nothing is shown. Pressing buttons like the Menu button doesn't change behavior. It shoots pictures okay verified with a couple test shots.

Called Olympus Repair and they want $110 or so ... and the guy on the phone suggested it might be a loose cable.

What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to DIY the repair. But some yahoogling didn't turn up any instructions on getting into the innards.

I've tried removing the screws holding down the outside faces of the camera body. But have been unable to get very far - the rear face doesn't want to budge very far, and is integral with the top which I can't find a way to remove. I got the front part off, however. But that just reveals an inner body, which has more screws.

Maybe someone has done this?

2. robogeek

robogeek New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    David Herron
    Well.. I seem to have "fixed" the issue just by futzing with the camera.

I'd managed to disassemble to the point of removing the bayonet mount while trying to get the front stuff off - but that seemed like a fruitless avenue of disassembly. In any case, while reassembling I tested it, and now the LCD screen shows the familiar stuff. Except the display is a bit washed out, as it is sometimes. In any case, the display is usable now.

Clearly there's something going on about a loose cable to the LCD and if I had the knowledge sufficient to get into the right innards it could be fixed pretty easily. I'd expect the cable just needs to be reseated, and perhaps some glue to hold it in place.