1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DIY quick release option?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by flamingfish, Aug 29, 2014.

1. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Has anyone tried using the Nite Ize micro locking S-biners to attach a camera strap? The carabiners themselves are metal and look like they'd support the weight easily. I'm not sure how the locking mechanism works.

Nite Ize S-Biner Micro Lock

• Like Like x 1
  2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
  3. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Ah, I hadn't spotted that thread. Updated yesterday, even. Looks like they're definitely worth a try, then, for those of us who can't make up our minds whether we want a wrist strap or a body strap of some sort.

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I use both a wrist strap (Cuff) and a neck/ body strap (Leash). I almost always have the Cuff on, but I very often remove the Leash. The Peak Design makes it easy to go back and forth.

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I'm sure they will support the weight, but most are not locking. Make sure you get the ones with the lock. I just got two of these, and the locks are hard to turn. Have used them for anything yet.

6. Kai

Kai Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    Finland
    That's the reason why I decided to try them, I like to switch between a wrist strap and a longer strap all the time, sometimes even out in the field :biggrin:. Having just got them got no experience on how the lock holds. Will just have to wait and see how it goes.

7. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    I can only imagine how the people who obsess over scratches on their cameras may react to any cosmetic damage from those making contact with the camera body.
    I still think they're worth a try though.

8. Kai

Kai Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    Finland
    Yes I can see how these would be a problem if one wanted to protect their camera from scratches. I don't baby my gear so I have no problems with a few scrapes on the side of the cameras. It just gives them more character :biggrin:.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can cut a leather patch with a slot to go over the camera mount lug to help there.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Nite Ize makes a nylon version which I've been using since the E-M5 came out without a blemish.

11. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Thanks for this, just bought a couple of the lockers - had only seen the non-locking version before.

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    heh, if I use these, I think my biggest worry would be the lock failing or getting accidentally unlocked

13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    flamingfish (and others): As you design your QR lashup, I strongly suggest that you use a pigtail that attaches to the camera lug and then puts the QR hardware below your hand.

In olden times, my Nikons had braided nylon pigtails that lowered the split ring to an inch or so below the bottom of the camera. My straps connected there and never interfered with camera handling. Lately I have been making pigtails with either nylon cord or steel fishing leader cable. Here is a previously-posted example with the cable:

IMG_20111227_125133.

Note that there is almost nothing to interfere with my hands. Recently I made some pigtails that were too short and I immediately had problems with the QR connector swinging over and pressing buttons on the back of the camera. Don't copy this picture exactly, though. I found that the rough ends of the split ring were very effective in fraying the cable. I have since added a tiny welded (smooth) intermediate ring. The cable goes through the welded ring, which then connects to the split ring.

For most purposes braiding two or three nylon cords directly through the lug with a lanyard-type braid will work just fine and give some redundancy in case of fraying. This solves the camera scratching problem, too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kai

Kai Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    Finland
    Something I was kinda worried too, but after a lot of use with both a longer strap and a wrist strap, no accidental lock opening episodes to report. Not saying it can't happen, but I for one don't worry about it anymore.

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Peak Design has something like this: https://peakdesign.com/store/anchor-links

The way it's designed, you can attach any strap that uses 3/8" webbing it looks like. Granted, there's a bit more bulk than I'd like. However, a potential option for anyone looking. $20 feels like a lot honestly, but not sure of any other alternatives.

May give the s-biner micro locks a try. I've resorted to just using 3/8" webbing as a shoulder strap (across chest) but really miss just using a finger strap. Just didn't have a good way to quickly switch and still be secure.

16. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I love the Peak Design stuff. Capture is my favorite - no longer bump my daughter in the head with me camera when I bend down to pick her up.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Nice. Assuming it is something besides just friction that retains those little pucks in the buckles, I would say that they've gotten it almost right. In the future it would be easy for them to lengthen the cord and get the hardware below users' hands. From their video it looks like the cord is molded in place though, so users won't be able to change it.

Re bulk, once the hardware is out of your hand it doesn't matter so much. In-hand, it's another matter.

18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    looks like i spoke too soon w/ the anchor links : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlnR24eTuj4
    They do clip in with more than friction, but the current design seems quite flawed.

19. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    The spring in the new clips wasn't up to specification. Peak Design became aware of this and they have stopped all shipments until the springs are up to spec. I'm still impatiently awaiting mine.

20. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Interesting. I guess holding the puck in place with spring pressure from the back qualifies as positive retention, but after the "fix" I would still want to test by pulling the cord hard in every direction to see if I could pop the puck out of the receptacle.

I think they are not telling the truth. It is very fast to change a stamping die, even faster to change a heat treat recipe. It is not anywhere near as fast to modify and debug an injection molding tool. That is probably what's taking them so long -- some degree of redesign to the receptacle itself. It's hard for a vendor to simply say "We screwed up." when he can blame a problem on a subcontractor or a QC issue (aka "not up to specification").

When I clicked Linh's link I was surprised to see the deliveries not beginning until November because (now that I am reminded) I recall seeing this product a number of months ago and would have expected it to be shipping long before now. But I guess it was.