1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

(DIY project) exe's quick swap lens purse?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tomas.exe, Sep 12, 2011.

1. tomas.exe

tomas.exe New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2011
    First of all,sorry for the name of the thread :p
    Well, here in micro 4/3 land (almost) everyone love prime right? :wink:
    But have you ever in a condition where you want to switch your lens (maybe you want to get the wider 14 f/2.5 or etc?)but it is to cumbersome?

For me, when I change lens, I need to :
    1.Open the bag
    2.Take the lens cap from my bag
    3.Remove the lens from the mount,screw it to lens cap
    4.Put it into the bag
    5.Take other lens, open the cap, put the cap in the bag
    6.Mount it

For my lazy self :p this is inconvenient so I try to make this bag :D

So what I will use:
    1. Cheapo travel purse

P9122125

P9122123

2. 3x Cheapo ebay third party back lens cap (otw, I don't have it yet)

3.Heavy duty adhesive (any recommendation on this one?)

So how it will work?

First of all I will try to stick the cheapo back lens cap with heavy duty adhesive to the flap of the travel purse, I'll put 3, for 3 different lens

P9122122

I hope I can make it attach permanently and prevent the cap from moving at all.

So we just need to remove the lens from the mount,screw it to the back cap, unscrew the other lens from the back cap and mount it
    For example: (I haven't put any adhesive at all as it is original lens cap)

[​IMG]
    P9122128
    [​IMG]
    P9122129

other picture:( I hope the purse is big enough to carry 14 f/2.5, 20 f/1.7 and I hope I will get olympus 45 f/1.8)

P9122126

I will add more pic when it is completely done as I lack some of the material
    Well, I don't know if this will be useful at all or if someone else have made something like this
    But I hope this might inspire some people

Regards
    Tomas

• Like Like x 2
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

hmmmmmmm .....

Have to admit swapping lenses is a bit cumbersome in the field especially considering we are thinking about dust getting on any and all elements involved each time. The faster the process the better methinks.

I will watch your progress with interest. :smile:

3. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Thank you for that! I was thinking of making almost the same thing, except the lens caps were at the bottom of the bag instead of the opening flap. Having the bottom lens caps glued to the bag itself, all you'd need to do is reach in, twist the lens off it, then mount.

However I was thinking of getting those rubber/styrofome cup holders you find at the dollar stores and have the lens cap attached to the bottom of it, then having the cups attached to the bags. That way it could act as a guide, and protection, instead of fumbling around where the lens caps were when I'd put the lens back into the bag. Just reach in and twist.

Haven't made it yet, but can't wait when you're finished with it.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    For adhesive, use epoxy.

It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure about the implementation. How protected are the lenses from the environment, and from each other? It looks like the lenses are just going to slam against each other when you walk around. Also, when you pull the flap up, if the lenses jostled around, they're liable to come off the caps and fall to the ground. If you're going to do this, why don't you build it into something like a Lowepro Slingshot, instead of a thrift store fanny pack?

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Interesting thinking! I think it has potential but will probably need some work to provide padding for the lenses..and I would also be concerned with the strength of using adhesive to a porous flexible bag surface..

6. tomas.exe

tomas.exe New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2011
  7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I like the idea, mostly but am concerned about the natural collection of dust etc in and around everything. when the lenses are being swapped it could likely end up where its not wanted. Cleaning everything may be troublesome. Don't give up. You just may have the beginning of something great. It's for sure an inconvenience that we all have had to deal with.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Interesting idea. Not sure it would work for me, though. I suggest you not use lens caps. Instead, use double back caps on your lenses, then fasten one or more body caps to the purse fabric with rivets, wire, or snaps. I don't think you will find any adhesive that will be reliable to hold rigid plastic to cloth.

Using double back caps eliminates the dust issue, as the lens glass is never exposed to whatever accumulates in the purse. It also eliminates the need to have different size caps due to different front lens diameters.

A double back cap is simply two back caps (carefully) glued together. If you search the forums here you should find some comments I have made on them in other threads.

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ditch the lens caps... both rear and front. Each have their own compartment in my bag. Many years ago, I dropped a lens futsing with a rear cap.... never touch one again.

On my primary camera, I have a dual lens holder on the bottom... not sure if one exists or is feasible for our small cameras. I use it when I have two lenses and no bag.

I have to say.. its a nice idea but probably would emd up just using a couple lens pouches on my belt instead.

10. tomas.exe

tomas.exe New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2011
    I think I make some stupid error in the first post before
    The lens cap in the first post suppose to mean the back caps (the one that cover the mount)instead of the front caps

Your idea is really good, this way I can just try to "sew" the body caps
    thanks for the idea :thumbup:

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    No, I just didn't read carefully. When I see "lens cap" I think "front cap." I didn't read more carefully than that.
    Yes, and since the fastening for the body caps never gets near any glass, you can use rivets or snaps that protrude above the inside surface of the body cap.
    Try some double back caps. You never have to fuss with them. One side or the other is always on a lens -- they are never loose.
    Dusty and unprotected glass? Not for me. But if it works for you, fine.