DIY mounting ring?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by clengman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. clengman

clengman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    I've got a quantaray 80-220 zoom in fd mount that I like to use occasionally with my e-pl1. Generally I have to use it handheld and braced on some kind of solid support unless it's very bright out allowing for very fast shutter. I'd like to be able to put it on a tripod, but it's too long and heavy to mount it using the 1/4-20 lug on the camera. I'd be very worried about breaking the mounting lug or worse, the lens mounting flange.

I've tried to locate a ring mint that would work with this lens so I can mount the rig by the lens instead of by the camera body, but I'm having no luck. Has any one done this diy-style or can you recommend another means of mounting it?

Thanks!

2. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
  3. clengman

clengman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks. That looks like it could work. I could use a second adapter anyway.

Still seems better to support it by the lens barrel rather than the flange. If I come up with anything good I'll post a pic.

4. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Which adapter do you have? By chance I found a combination of CirrusAdapter FD-to-Micro4/3 adapter + eBay Canon ring mount that works reasonably well. I'll try to post a picture of it.

5. clengman

clengman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Cool! I'd like to see it. I have a fotodiox mount adapter.

6. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Here it is. You can tell that the fitment is a little loose between the adapter and the tripod mount. I have one layer of back electrical tape around the adapter to get it where it is now, but it could use another layer to make it perfect.

[​IMG]