1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

DIY mod of Panasonic 7-14mm to attach filters (and DIY filters)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by budeny, May 13, 2015.

1. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    This topic was covered multiple times and there were different DIY and aftermarket solutions, but I still would want to present my take on this mod for couple pros:
    • no vignetting at 7mm - even with 2 filters
    • ability to use 2 filters (or more)
    • ability to use grad filters at any angle
    • compatible with multiple filter systems and simple round filters
    • no damage to filters from hood touching them
    • sturdiness to withstand outdoors conditions

..and cons:
    • modifications are permanent
    • you should have at least some experience in small DIY projects

OK, here we go.

1. We will need some bargain priced Panasonic 7-14mm lens - now may be a good time as Olympus version finally hit the market.
    2. First modification is not for the faint of heart (see **notes below) - top and bottom hood petals were reduced down to the lengths of left and right ones. This is better to be done with files by hand without any power tools like Dremel.

3. Next permanent modification is attaching 67-72mm step-up ring to the back of the hood. I've used classic JB Weld epoxy as it provides longer times to work with. This is very precise work as ring must be properly aligned and do not glue MF ring that is literally next there:

4. Now it's all easy. Screw on metal lens hood. I've used $5 "FOTGA Screw Mount 72mm Standard Metal Lens Hood" Its male threads are 72mm and female ones are 77mm.

5. Now is the time for actual filter holder and I want to explain little more here. Initially, my plan was to use 85mm (aka Cokin P) filters. With reduced hood it was possible, but aftermarket holders are just POTS, required holder modification and when using two filters it was still vignetting at some angles at 7mm. So, I decided to go with 100mm and got aftermarket holder from China with 77mm (and 58mm) adapter ring for $27. I was quite surprised that it is rather good quality and sturdy, so look for brand name "SERK". I also moved top spacer to the bottom of the stack, so that will give 1mm clearance between hood and filter. So, here it is:

with some crappy test filter:

And voila! Mandatory 7mm screenshot:

** Notes about reducing hood petals:
    • even original hood is not preventing flares completely, so I often resorted to use my hand or card on top of it.
    • if Zeiss has a nerve to remove hood from their $3k Distagon 15mm prime (and charge you 250 EUR), then we can do it too!

Update July 21, 2015

I decided to drop graduated ND filters from my wish list and go with screw-on types only. Minimum size should be 95mm and there are few and expensive options for those. Looking around, I found Formatt-Hitech system of rectangle filters 67x85mm. They are made from real glass, color neutral and Amazon had them for $55-$60. So, I also bought cheap 105mm UV filters ($9 each) and with simple tools and casting resin (google "Smooth-On Onyx") managed to assemble them in couple decent filters. I've also cut 13 stop 100x100mm square filter to fit in 105mm round one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    With the hood petals reduced, do you think there is enough spacing to use a system like the Lee Seven5 75x90mm filters? Would be nice to not have to carry around 2 sets of filters. I've also thought about doing the back plate modification, but that would really only allow for ND filters as grads would pretty impossible to adjust.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I think you can use them when 90mm is aligned horizontally, may be even without reducing petals.

I reserved back plate for 2A/2E filter to fix purple flare and fringing.
    It's also not practical to change filters in back plate.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Nice work.

Did you just use a hacksaw to trim the petal hoods? Does the lens-cap still work just fine?

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I hope you're joking about hacksaw.. :) - I've used just coarse and fine files. Those ribs inside the hood are good marks for where to stop.
    Cap works almost same as before modding, somewhat more harder to put on/off as it becomes airtight earlier, but I removed some suede from cap to help it.
    FYI, both cap and hood are slightly conical, that's why I didn't like mods when holder just slides on.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  6. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Haha, I wasn't actually kidding - I like a fine-toothed, low-profile mini-hacksaw for that kind of thing (make the cut from the outside, on the pull only, with tape as a guideline) . Wait until you're almost just through, snap off the plastic, file or sand smooth. But I guess I don't know how much of the hood you actually need to remove - I was assuming it was on the order of 10mm or more.

7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Is actually what I would probably use. Or my rotary tool, do precision stuff with mine all the time.

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Up to you guys, may be you're more experienced than me :)
    Keep in mind that it's just about 4-5mm of soft plastic to remove and final difference between petals height and front element is no more than 1mm.

9. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    You did a great job with the mod, so you obviously used the right tools for the job. Looks very clean and functional.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Would it be possible to incorporate a ring or clear glass filter infront of the petals and touching the petals to allow a compressing sandwich action which could make the 'behind the hood' filter ring to be removable?

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Yes, it's possible. However, there are couple things to think about:

- max adapter ring size that I know is 82mm and I think clear filter of this size will vignette on unmodified hood
    - adding another layer of glass is never a good thing
    - mounting on and off such a framework can be cumbersome in the field

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    BTW, this was first prototype utilizing Cokin P (85mm) system:

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :biggrin: Very automotive !

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @budeny@budeny, if the metal lens hood was longer than the one you used, do you think it would be possible to use circular filters rather than drop in filters? I'm wondering if either 77mm or 82mm circular filters would work.

15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    77mm works for BPCC, but BPCC sensor is little smaller. It may or may not work on m43, especially multi-aspect sensors like GH#, and I still want to be able to use 2 filters. So, I'm actually scratching off grads from my plans and going to use 82mm round ones. Hood will be extended with 77-82 step up ring and couple rings from cheap 82mm UV's. But for those who just planning the mod, I would say add 72-77 step up ring and use 77-82mm hood.

16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So you are going to move to 82mm circular filters? I'll be interested to see just how wide you can go (hopefully all the way to 7mm).

I found this thing online (http://dfocussystem.com/adapter-714), and I was thinking about sanding down the top/bottom lens hood petals like you did, putting this over the existing lens hood, and then affixing a 77-82 step up ring and using 82mm circular filters.

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    As I said before, I do not like sliding adapters:

- they wobble
    - they touch/mark/scratch filters
    - they have good chance to slide off in most inappropriate moment and place.

Once you start altering the lens permanently, there is no real reason to stop halfway.

18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  19. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    I'm in.

I am kind of intrigued with the light shield that Lee has out now for the SW150.