DIY hand strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by andix, Mar 20, 2014.

1. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Ssssoooo I was tinkering with the idea of forking more postage than the actual product value :dash2: and get a couple Nintendo Wii hand straps for my cameras (E-M5, E-PM1 and Fuji X10.) But I wasn't too sold on the thin nylon string at the end of the strap. I mean, yes, they're designed for abuse and all, but a Wii remote is what, $30? So no. Scrap that.
    Then I remembered I make paracord bracelets and the gears started crunching. I dug up the ole' paracord bag and the mini torch, and the result can be seen below. I made the whole thing a bit too long, which in the end might be useful. Basically it's a loop ended with a diamond knot, and two sliders made with the cobra weave technique. The sliders are really tight, they only can be moved with both hands - no accidental slippage there. If there's demand I can post a tutorial but the construction is pretty straightforward, I found two youtube instructables and basically combined them into the product you see here.
    I hope you guys like it.

• Like Like x 3
  2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Very nice! I have made all of my camera and bino straps and have advocated around here for more DIY, but for some reason people seem to see themselves as helpless. I'll bet that the ratio is 100:1 between posts seeking or debating the merits of commercial straps and posts like yours.

I posted a link to Stormdrane's site ( a year or two ago but that didn't seem to inspire people either.

The cobra sliders are a nice touch. I have just been using the push-spring cord locks on paracord. I'll have to try your idea. I should learn that knot anyway.
  3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I am interested in a tutorial if you are up for it. Thanks.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. halfhand

halfhand Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    Great job!
    I had been thinking about doing something similar. Yours look really nice.
  5. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    OK. So here's the deal -
    I just realized that the two people I got my inspiration from in making this lanyard actually did their instructionals better than I could. So in order to give them credit instead of stealing their thunder, I'l post their videos.

To make the initial lanyard and finish it with a diamond knot, I used this video:

Then to add the sliders, I followed the instructions in this video:

So this is it. :) Enjoy!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the initial thought when I started this little project was to have a foolproof hand strap with absolutely no metal part in it. I hate that with a passion, made me give up on the Black Rapid hand strap I originally had on the M5.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Good job OP! And thanks to oldracer for the link, very interesting.

I also make my own wriststraps for my cameras - the good thing is one can make them to the exact length that allow to use the camera one handed. I use a 2,5 mm cord that is used to connect the spear to the underwater speargun, and finish them with a turk's head knot.

I just got myself some 8mm double braided rope and inox rings - two splices and here you go, neck strap done!

It looks like all the rigging and splicing learned for sailing are useful for this hobby too :)
    • Like Like x 1