DIY grip for E-M5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Rangerdave, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Rangerdave

Rangerdave Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Evesham, UK
    Hi, fairly new to the :43: forum, having got myself a used E-M5 just after Xmas, am loving it and just completed building myself a grip.

Have written a post about it on my blog and thought you might like to see how I did it, and maybe inspire others to have a go too, it was not too difficult using a mixture of wood/metal working and hand tools.

I know there are a few others who have also had a go, it's interesting to see other designs!

Hope you enjoy?

OMD E-M5 DIY Grip | Top Travel Gear

Here's a taster!

Attached Files:

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Dave, fantastic project, well done !! :2thumbs:

Can you add any sort of black pigment/dye to the milliput to make it less of a light grey colour, and blend in more with the E-M5 body?
  3. Rangerdave

Rangerdave Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Evesham, UK
    Hi savvy,
    Many thanks, glad you like :th_salute:
    You probably can and it does look more grey in the photos than it actually is, I do have some black powdered dye that I use with Polymorph plastic molding that might work, might give it a try on Mk 2!
    For the time being though, I'm just glad it's finished and I can start using it, I'll worry about cosmetics at a later date! :wink:
  4. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Like with all DIY projects - great work! And the gap for the battery door - i still wonder why Oly haven't done this, maybe because of the cable/conductor layout.

What I would love to see is a "slice" like this with electronic contact pass-through and integrated wireless trigger receiver that goes between two parts of the Oly grip.