1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DIY flash sync with VF-2 mounted?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Jan 17, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Greetings all,

I have recently changed from my trusty E-P1 to an E-P2 with VF-2. The latter has transformed my enjoyment of using legacy lenses.

BUT....I also want to be able to trigger an external flash - something that this combination makes 'impossible'.

I've read threads in various forums indicating that others share this frustration, so I thought I'd see who wants to do some experimenting...

My concept is as follows:

Use adhesive-backed copper foil on the underside of the VF-2 mount, being careful to only connect to the center 'trigger' contact. Similarly tape one edge of the mount for 'ground'. These two contact points are then connected via small wires (soldered to the tape before applying to VF-2), which connect to a female socket (miniphone, since this is probably smallest). The socket is taped to the front of the VF-2, under the hinge (hole probably facing camera left, so that when a sync cord is attached it does not interfere with shutter, etc).

It may be that leaving the sync cord on the VF-2 all the time is not necessary or desirable. The same approach might work if a thin wired 'tab' could be made that slips under the VF-2 when mounting it.

Not sure if I've been clear enough here...let me know if you have an interest in brainstorming on this topic!