DIY E-P1 Infrared conversion - any help out there? Filter source?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by walter23, Feb 19, 2011.

1. walter23

walter23 New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2011
    I'm interested in converting my E-P1 into a full-spectrum (well, fuller than just visible anyway) camera by removing the infrared hot mirror / filter from the front of the sensor. I realize you can get it done for about $350 from Spencer's camera, but I'd be interested in trying it myself if I could source a piece of clear glass to replace the filters. Some instructions for getting the camera apart and removing the filter online would be really useful too, so I can get an idea of how difficult it might be before beginning. I really don't mind doing this kind of thing myself and I have the right tools, but I don't just want to go in blindly.

Also, can you get filters for removing IR and UV when you want to do normal visible light shooting with a clear-filter camera?

Thanks for any help you might have.
  2. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA

I would check out LDP NET for the filters. They have a series of filters for passing the UV and blocking the visible, passing the IR and blocking the visible, and finally blocking infrared but passing visible light.

With their IR plus visible converted cameras, they use an IR filter for the IR shots and then use a CC1 filter for normal visible pictures. I don't know what the contribution of UV would be to such a camera.

I hope this helps.

They also do the conversion.