1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DIY cheap print on canvas

Discussion in 'Printing' started by jo45800, Jan 25, 2015.

1. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    • Like Like x 5
  2. neek247

neek247 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Canada
    Ashley
    wow I love that!

3. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fun project and also that's a great photo! :)

4. Sherry5245king

Sherry5245king New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2016
    Sherry
    It would seem to me that when you mount (glue) a photo print on top of the canvas, you lose the canvas (texture) look. My husband and I have several canvas prints (done at 2 or 3 places) and you can see the texture of the canvas in the print. I have one flower print that people think is a painting (combination shallow depth of field and lighting). I have prints of the flower as well and there is just something about the canvas print that takes things up a notch. If you watch for sales, you can get the canvas prints at a good price. Also, try CostCo... I did one when they had a sale and was amazed at the results.

5. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Thanks for this idea. I did a couple the other day, and while I agree with the above post that it does look somewhat different from canvas. It is different from a regular photo in a frame.
    I love the effect. I could get the items so I made the frames and just used material from the
    ¥100 shop. I made the frames larger than the photos to leave a black border.

The result looks good. My son came downstairs and was looking at them, picking them up.
    And he said to me "wow, daddy your are good" I was so happy. We were talking about how I did it and the penny dropped. he then said "daddy I thought you painted them" ha ha ha.

My kids want to make some for thier granparents. What a great project to do with your kids and what a top present these make. Thank mate. canvas (1 of 1). canvas (1 of 2). canvas (2 of 2).

• Like Like x 3
  6. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Great pics of the kids! Innovative mounting, looks good.

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I discovered this technique a few months ago searching for tips on printing directly to canvas and tried my hand at it too. I was skeptical about using dye-based ink, but it worked and didn't smear. I started with some prints I goofed up on that were just a tad too small to mat. The results were pretty good. I did my first art show a few weeks ago, and while it was a hot day with terrible attendance, the only prints I sold were the photo prints mounted on canvas. I had larger canvas prints available at a much higher price point.

This is a neat and inexpensive way to display your photos and you have no worries about glare from cheaper frames. They are light and can be hung with a wall tack.

Also you can buy black canvas and skip step 1. You just pay a bit more, but they are comparably priced on sale. Some photos look ok w/white canvas too, including having a white border on the print.

What you might lose in the canvas texture mentioned, you gain in having brush strokes in the mat finish of the glue.

Pro tip. Do this in a clean area. Otherwise you end up with dog hairs/human hairs and anything else that might be on your surface embedded in the glue. Also it dries faster if you leave them under a ceiling fan. Also, I used the generic brand of "mod Podge" mat finish decoupage glue. It's a few bucks cheaper.

I recently set up shop in a local store. Here is a mix of canvas prints and prints mounted on canvas. (gas pump print is not mine)
    IMAG0471.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I am wondering, did you try to sell some of the canevas print on the web? (Like etsy or something else)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I did....and have them in the local store as of this past weekend. I have not tried Etsy yet, because I felt it was saturated, but I actually decided a few days ago I might try to sell some of my local prints there that I can target as a niche, that I feel are better than most of what's offered there (some is good, some is bad), but I still think it's a long shot and from what I read you have to market yourself and SEO to get traffic...but it's cheap to list and their fees are low, so nothing lost really. I have a fair amount of inventory I need to sell too. I was going to list yesterday, but all my prints are at the store and I need photos of them mounted.

10. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    your right about doing it in a clean place. My cat got in the room... hair hair everywhere.
    I couldn`t get modge podge as mentioned but some local brand of the same kind of thing.
    it stays tacky for some and collects debris easily. might try some kind of water based polish
    next time.

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I have seen some videos using different types of Varnish on youtube like this, but some can be quite expensive (like $40-80 a quart) and are probably longer to dry. Mainly see demonstrated on canvas prints, but work on paper I believe. Breathing color is one brand I saw.

I use
    ArtMinds® Decoupage, Matte from Michaels...retails for $7 and I use a 50% off coupon so it's $3.50. Mine will dry in 20 min or so under a ceiling fan...longer without. I flip over the canvas and rub out the air bubbles with a flat object...that's where hair can mostly come into play...so you have to have a clean surface that you don't mind getting some glue on....a piece of cardboard or an old shower curtain work (just not the same one I groom my dog over!).

I was going to try a foam roller brush, esp on the 16x20 sizes. Most of the videos used foam brushes, so I did that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you didn't want brush strokes showing up. They don't detract from the photo though...they are subtle and add some character. Just have to work fast, so it doesn't dry up on you and get tacky I suppose. Can thin with a few drops of water if that happens.

Is there a big advantage doing more than 1 coat?

12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Thanks for the reminder, I saw something on this technique earlier & was planning on giving it a try.
    I believe watered down PVA glue is a suitable replacement for Mod Podge.
    One on-line source recommends 3 parts PVA to 1 of water.

13. catmurphy

catmurphy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Cathy
    Gave it a try. I think I put the Mod-Podge on a bit too thickly. Will try thinning it a bit next time.