1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DIY camera release shutter cable remote

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RaZZ3R, Mar 28, 2012.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I've seen a few project of improvized remotes for DSLR (mainly cabled one not wireless) from a simple 2.5-3.5" Jack headset with microphone to built from scrach cable releashe shutter incased in a bottle of pilles or old 35mm film black prtective bottle. I tried it my self, killed 3 poor basterd 2.5" headsets, with no success, every time I pluged one in my G2 baby it detects as microphone input even after a cut the cable to the microphone connectors from the PCB and removed the microphone all together with no avail. Could some help me with some advices, if it's even possible, on how to improvize one or, if I have to, to build one from scrath (I have a good friend that's an electricion to [usefull to have one :p] that might help me)?

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Um, you can buy one for pretty cheap, why bother DIY?

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here's the deagram

Here's the schematic. I created it for "FZ" models, but it's the same for all "G" models. I used this in conjunction with a wireless controller I got off EBAY. Total cost was $11

The cable is a 4 conductor type. You can find the cables on any old Nokia cell phone headset - I found mine at the local "dollar store".

Any questions, just ask!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/5472323149/" title="FZ WIRED WIRING by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 5472323149_facff353b7_z. "640" height="436" alt="FZ WIRED WIRING"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  4. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    For the fun of it, for the hell of it, WHY NOT?

Today I built myself an ND filter from an old sun-glasses just because I got bored and in 10 minutes I got a ND filter with 3 EV stops capability, allthou I still have to work on geting the WB righ, still some people's junk is other people's treasure :rofl:

5. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    What a coincidence! I just removed the lenses from an old pair of glasses and inserted a pair of ND filters in their place......Voila! instant shades!

6. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Or you could really go for the crazy money and have this

:eek:

7. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
  8. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    My 5 buck fleabay shutter release works brilliant, I dont have the time to waste playing with Junk! :tomato2:

9. hypnomatt

hypnomatt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I have this very model and have used it thousands of times with no problems Simple cheap and it works.

10. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    FWIW, I had to use DIY information to fix an eBay wireless shutter release. The internal soldering was atrocious and fell apart during shipping.

11. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    :whoo: And if you do this with graduated ND filters you'll have Transitions lenses! :bravo-009: :bravo-009: