1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DIY Built in Flash Diffuser for Olympus Pen

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by fottomotto, Dec 10, 2013.

1. fottomotto

fottomotto Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Hi, I made this pop-up flash diffuser out of used plastic bottle. . I attached this to my Pen Ep-3 and it significantly reduces the harshness of light of the pop-up flash. Just check it out the images and tell me what are your thoughts about it. ..(sorry for the crappy pics from my phone) Cheers!

[​IMG][/IMG]

2unvt6e.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Nice, not a bad design! I have a Demb Pop-Up Flip-It that I use for pop-up flashes sometimes but it's a considerably more complex design. I like that this is one piece, packs totally flat (looks like it could even maybe fit in a wallet). Nothing to really break except maybe I could envision the hot-shoe tab tearing with a lot of use.

Could be made for next to nothing even commercially which means they'd be easily replaceable and almost disposable. Simple, easy to carry, improves the quality of light a bit... not much more you could ask for with a pop-up flash diffuser.

Can you post some before and after sample shots too? An indoor or outdoor portrait would be a good example to show how much difference it makes in the light quality.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Now that's using the old nogg'n! :thumbup:

4. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I agree with jloden, I would like to see some sample pics of how well this works! Thanks!

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great idea! I love simple DIY, why spend big bucks when you can make something that works well for next to nothing. Well done. :thumbup:

6. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Very creative I like it! Essentially that's what diffusers are...not sure why some companies command such a premium!

• Like Like x 1
  7. jimmy_WAI

jimmy_WAI New to Mu-43

May 8, 2015
    Sorry for bumping up old thread. The best plastic bottle for making pop-up flash bounce/diffuser is HAIR SHAMPOO bottle.

My version using this:
    DSC_0125.JPG

Result:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Youtube tutorial: