DIY Beauty Dish

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by OzRay, Aug 11, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    In case anyone is interested, I've built myself a beauty dish, slightly smaller than the traditional ones, as I wanted to be able to use it on-camera and off-camera:

f121.

f101.

The light output is very even:

f11.

I'm currently letting the paint fully harden before doing more testing etc, but what I've shot around the house so far shows that the dish works much better than I expected. To read about the full build go here: http://australianimage.com.au/wordpress/?p=1094.

• Like Like x 7
  2. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Very cool! Well done!

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It's more of an experiment at this stage and hopefully it will work out as planned. The whole idea can be expanded to a much larger dish if needed, but then it's not going to be camera friendly.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Outstanding! I look forward to seeing some photos taken with this. I just might have to build one for myself. Very cool DIY project. :cool:

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Let's hope the wife is not missing critical kitchen gear ... A sure way to get into hot water, so to speak.

Likely worth the trouble!

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I do most of the cooking, so it doesn't matter :)

I'm working out the best way to do a set of balanced test shots at the moment, to find out how well the various configurations work, and where this smaller dish works best. It's not going to perform like a very large beauty dish, but initial tests indicate that it could be quite useful nonetheless.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd be interested to see the results with it. The local discount store is a good source of dishes & containers like that & I do most of the cooking here too (since my wife is busy earning the real money).

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm working on Part 2 at the moment, but I need to re-arrange a spare room so that I can set up my background stands etc. The tests will involve some fairly ordinary shots of an inanimate subject, but it's easier to do it this way as I can take my time and try out a number of configurations, without tiring a live subject.

What's annoying is that I have a full studio system, but can't seem to secure just a little bit of space for my backgrounds etc. I'd use our garage, but that's at the bottom of the property and too cold or hot for that sort of arrangement plus, in winter, the damp etc would likely eat away my backdrop rolls.

I have a set of Elinchrom studio flashes, but I'm trying to see what I can do with my FL-50 strobes, as they are far more portable, even when using the Elinchrom umbrellas and stands.

9. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Class DIY I rather fancy making one, have to look around whats available.

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Very nice DIY Beauty Dish.
    Congratulations. Well done.
    That clear part in the center is an empty Recordable CD box pack?

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks, the clear container is just a Tupperware style food container. The size was just right, a CD container would have been way too large.

12. Ross the fiddler

That sounds like a good way to use up those empty CD/DVD containers! :thumbup: :biggrin:

13. Ross the fiddler

Bummer!

14. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hi Ray.

Thank's for clarifying,

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've now done a full series of tests with the a number of variations. There's no point in trying to present things piecemeal here, so if you're interested in the project, the tests and photos are here: http://australianimage.com.au/wordpress/?p=1382. Overall, the beauty dish works very well, with some surprises, but bottom line, I think the DIY beauty dish can be very useful as a portable lighting option. I'm still to do shots with a live subject, so that will be a post for Part 3.

• Like Like x 1