DIY back to back rear lens caps

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dav1dz, Feb 12, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Found some cheap rear lens and body caps on eBay. Too bad I couldn't buy just rear lens caps by themselves, I guess I'll just have a lot of body caps now as well. I also found some double sided adhesives lying around the house and by combining these items I made myself back to back rear lens caps.

What can I say, it's a boring Tuesday off work.

9-18/4-5.6 and 17/1.8, creamy bokeh provided by 25/1.4.
  2. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
  3. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Those .99 ones are actually higher than original ones .. may matter if you count millimetres in your bag!
  4. outbackphotogeek

outbackphotogeek New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2013
    I've done the same, but with superglue. Solves the problem of bags being too deep.
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    AFIK this idea originated at Leica. I saw them first on Leicaflex lenses many years ago. I have been making and using double back caps ever since.

A couple of comments:

1) In my experience, that double-stick foam tape will deteriorate with age and eventually the foam will separate. The way I have always made my caps is to put a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and use it to rough up the glue joint face of the caps. I then use a very thin coat of two-part epoxy to glue them. (I have read that the ideal bond is one molecule thick. Not much, in other words.) I have never had a glue joint come apart.

2) I never use the double caps for storing lenses together. Every one of my lenses has a double back cap on it. I use them because they make lens changing so much easier on the run. (a) release the lens from the camera, (b) attach it to the open back cap on the lens you're going to use, (c) flip the pair of lenses over, (d) remove the replacement lens and install it on the body. The hassle of juggling a loose back cap is totally eliminated because the back cap is never loose.

3) I don't know about aftermarket caps. I use the Oly OEM caps because they are shallower than the Panny caps, making for a more compact assembly. I think any cap would work as long as it provides some grip for the lens. I'll probably try Y2K's links next time I need some caps.
    • Like Like x 1