1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DIY angle viewfinder

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Hyun, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Here's a very simple "angle viewfinder" solution I've come up with for those times when I'm doing tabletop macro photography or need to get down to the groundlevel. It's cheap, it's not refined, and a bit kitschy, but hey, it works. :) I know Flipbac makes a unit that is verticall and horizontally operable (and much slicker), but I 1) didn't want something permanently attached to the camera (the Flipbac frame), and 2) wanted to see if I could do on the cheap.

Here are the parts:

P2021050_LR.

The pack of five 3" x 3" mirrors was 99 cents from the local craft store. The door hinge was $2.70 for a pack of two.

It's really simple. A few drops of super glue on the door hinge gaps creates enough friction so that the hinge will stay in position at different angles. Then glue the mirror back to one flap of the door hinge, and let it sit. Be sure to not let super glue near to the mirror surface, otherwise the glue will fog up the mirror.

P2021052_LR.

When it's all dry, it's ready for use! Simply put the other flap under the camera body and position the mirrored flap at an appropriate angle:

IMG_1798_LR.

Here's a close-up view. The "ghosting" in the reflection is far less noticeable in use:

IMG_1799_LR.

So it works well enough like that. However, there's room for improvement. Attaching the contraption to the base of the camera would obviously make it more flexible. You could use self-adhesive velcro strips to attach the mirror to the camera. The screw holes on the hinge also offers a possibility. The holes are slightly smaller than 1/4", you'll need to Dremel or drill it out to the proper width. Then using screws and nuts and maybe wingnuts, you could make it attachable to the tripod socket of the camera with minimal work.

• Like Like x 4
  2. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    But now it's not a mirrorless camera.

:smile:

• Like Like x 7
  3. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Haha, awesome! :thumbup:

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Upon further reflection.....:biggrin:....YOU'RE RIGHT!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Now I feed bad for sidetracking the conversation. I like the idea and I love the frugality of it. Red Green (Red Green News) would approve.

6. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Hey, no worries. :)

7. Dude, you are the DIY king! Nicely done.

8. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Thanks. I'm all about cheap-n-functional. :)