DIY "adapter" for PEN-F lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gnarlydog australia, Oct 30, 2015.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I recently have acquired a PEN-F lens, namely the 38mm f1.8, and since I have no adapter for it I had to order one on eBay to fit it on my Olympus E-P5.
    Impatient as I am I could not wait 4 weeks for it to arrive from China and I thought I could cobble up something myself in the meantime.
    I did have a reverse lens mount for macro filter thread 52mm to start with and a couple of other bits that surely would work somehow.
    So, here is what I did:

1) reverse lens mount with 52mm thread plus
    2) step up from 46mm to 52mm ring plus
    3) step down from 46mm to 43mm (gives me a bigger edge surface than straight 46mm ring)

22602580245_ab33f12452_z.

The 3 items connected together measured at approx. 12mm.
    From my calculations I really needed just 9.7mm (M43 registers at 19.25mm, PEN-F at 28.95mm) but the last bit of my ring stack was actual thread, so shaving that down would create a nice surface for my PEN-F lens.
    Sanding the soft aluminium was not too difficult and in half an hour I had the stack at 9mm.
    I did some "free lensing" (dry run) to check that I had infinity before I was ready for the next step.

I shaved it a bit short to allow for some "glue"
    I wanted a temporary mount so the lens would be attached by some "removable" glue.
    I really like how polyurethane sticks to stuff, cured rubber like BUT can be removed with methylated spirits (alcohol). Unlike silicon, it's a much friendlier product to use, in my opinion.
    So, I laid a thin bead of polyurethane (my brand is Sikaflex, but any will do) with a toothpick making sure that there will be enough to stick to the lens but not too much to spread everywhere.

22576106246_249f219ef9_z.

The operation was delicate and I made sure I kept a clean toothpick with very little sealant at the time.
    Once I had a decent bead I laid my lens right into the wet goop.
    The lens sunk nicely into the goop and made good contact all around, squeezing out a bit of stuff.

22576601346_6e952e4acf_z.
    some goop squeezed out to the inside of the adapter, there are a few mm of gap between bayonet mount and 43mm ring: good so I don't fully mess up the PEN mount

I carefully removed the excess by wetting a clean toothpick so the sealant would not stick and cleaned up the best I could.
    Any excess/smudge will be removed once cured.

After a day of curing the goop was hard enough to try and still soft enough to remove/disassemble if my register was out by too much.
    I was not expecting perfection but I wanted to have infinity within a short barrel adjustment of the focus ring. I was pretty close, just a few degrees are needed to get infinity.

22414266130_d82190c617_z.
    goop ooze visible between lens and black rings; can be trimmed once cured if a cleaner look is desired

I jammed a small piece of closed cell foam in the auto-aperture lever, so I can close down the iris if I want to. Factory adapter has a proper notched mount for that...

22588651652_380b97bab2_z.

So while I wait for my factory adapter to show up I can use my new lens.
    In honesty I have to say that I kind of regretted ordering the factory adapter since this one looks and functions rather well. I only have one PEN-F lens mount so there is no need to swap and have the adapter available for another lens; being glued on suits me fine.
    However removing the lens from my home made adapter, when necessary, will be easy: a sharp small blade and I can separate/cut the polyurethane, any excess can be cleaned off with alcohol.

• Like Like x 3
  2. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Fantastic. I bet that this will work better than the one you bought.

3. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I have trimmed the goop a little and the look has improved but functionality is still the same
    I took some test images last night at the beach and the infinity is just a little bit out ( I have to back it off a fraction), then again this lens is not the easiest to focus since and very little shift of focus ring makes a big difference

22446885250_ec3cf01b79_z.

22627587666_fde8cc02aa_z.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

So, what happened when the adapter arrived?

5. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I was debating if I should use the factory adapter or just leave the lens mounted on the DIY adapter (gooped on). :cautious:
    But curiosity go the better of me and I simply sliced the goop away and mounted it on the factory adapter. The polyurethane was very easy to remove.
    That factory adapter is actually very good and the lens fits tightly without a wiggle.
    Infinity is again not perfect (slightly back from markings on the lens) but the adapter looks good.
    I reused the DIY base to make another adapter; this time for an Exa mount lens, but with proper "female" receiver (from some Exa extension rings I had).
    I like the DIY Exa mount better than the factory ones: mine are lighter and slimmer, matching the lens better.

Now I have a Fujica-X lens coming and have enough parts to make another DIY... ah, the joys of tinkering (spent an hour last night disassembling and cleaning a Jupiter-8) :)

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I just was recently given a Pen F lens. It is a 50-90mm lens.
    I was thinking of getting the cheapest adapter for it that I can find.
    But I'm not sure if I should even bother. I have other legacy glass that covers that focal length.

7. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    oh I see: you want to see if the lens is worth adapting
    Well, this is the factory adapter and is very tight and snug (good): Olympus Pen F PenF mount lens to Panasonic Micro 4/3 M43 Adapter E-P5 GX7 G6 PL5
    If you don't mind tinkering then create one yourself with a cheap C-mount to M43 adapter (I keep those in "stock" for my tinkering) and a spacer (find here the correct flange distance: Camera Mounts Sorted by Register )
    If the images that the lens takes are to your liking then maybe buy the factory one.
    I have several lenses that cover the exact focal length but each one produces a different image (bokeh render) and I use different lenses for different effect.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, Do you know if all the Pen lenses have short focus throw like that?

Thanks,
    Barry

9. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I only have one PEN lens: 38mm f1.8
    I find it very hard to get a decently focused image if my subject is distant but a pleasure to use for close-ups.
    Not sure how other PEN lenses look like but one could figure out the focusing throw by reading the focus scale from images of the lens?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I also have the 25mm f4 and the 50-90mm f3.5. They have a similarly short focus throw – I suspect the whole range is the same.

The 38mm just doesn't seem to work wide open at a distance and needs stopping down. On my 38mm, f1.8 gives crazy bokeh for closer work but this just turns to ugly smears at the edges as you move further way. This doesn't seem to happen with the slower 25mm and 50-90mm zoom

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  11. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    aha, so it is not only my copy that does that!
    Yes, same thing: only the center is sharp at distance, while the edges are super soft and glow. I will predominantly use the 38mm f1.8 for close-ups

• Like Like x 1
  12. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I do use the 38mm f1.8 at longer distances and it's great, just as long as it's not wide open. You do have to stop it down. I only use f1.8 for close up work.