Diving with Sea Dogs

Discussion in 'Nature' started by reginalb, Jan 7, 2015.

1. reginalb

reginalb New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2014
    This was my first time diving with strobes, and I did a pretty mediocre job with them. :biggrin:

It's cool, I learned what I did wrong, so the color should be better next time.

I actually got enough light on this one to overcome the blue on the shark. The people, further away, are still blue.

All images taken with the Panasonic GF3 and 8mm Fisheye

EDIT: Interestingly, if you're not familiar with shooting underwater, as you travel through water, red is the first color that goes. Even CRANKING the red channel on these produced no difference in the color if it was out of the reach of my strobe. There just isn't any red light down there.

EDIT 2: For reference, even where I got enough light on the shark for the white to look white, you're not seeing its true color. Here's one near the surface:

• Like Like x 19
  2. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah, with a strobe underwater you need to be pretty darn close. Remember that because of the magnifying effect of the water, you're likely to think you're closer than you really are. (Of course, with an oceanic whitetip, I might not want to be too close. They have a reputation for being unpredictable.)

How was the color on the top one before you B&Wed it? It looks like the shark was pretty shallow, so there should have been more light than in most of the other shots.
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Those are sharks!!
    • Like Like x 3
  4. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Beautiful animals!!!! (The sharks, not the divers)
    #4 is awesome!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. reginalb

reginalb New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2014
    Pretty blue, and I did the B&W to fix it up a bit, because I wanted to print it. I needed a lot more power out of the strobes, I had it pretty low. I didn't have the camera set up right, and the GF3 is tough to control without the touchscreen. I know how to set it up in prep now, though, ahead of time.

Here is the B&W in color:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nice shots! I love diving with sharks - such fascinating animals. I want to try a strobe next time I go diving, but I also have a red filter for -available light stuff. It will be in the Carribean so mostly shallower dives.
  7. halfhand

halfhand Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    I'm sure you enjoyed!
    I would remove or cut the ladder of the last pic, I love it with the surface.
  8. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    Lovely! Regardless of how you think the pics came out, I bet it was an awesome experience.
  9. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    still great captures.