Diving in the Galapagos Islands - Underwater Photos

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
Haven't been on this forum much recently, but figured I'd put up some photos from my recent trip diving in the Galapagos Islands. I recently upgraded to an E-M1mk3 this summer (and housing) in preparation for this trip, as well as picking up some new wide angle gear. The new wide angle gear is a Nauticam WWL-1 port which corrects for distortion in water better than a traditional dome port, and turns a 14-42EZ lens into a 130deg FOV wide angle rectilinear. For reference, a 7-14mm only has a maximum field of view of 114 deg. Essentially turns a tiny pancake zoom into one of the best performing underwater lenses for M4/3 systems.

The week was spent almost entirely on a liveaboard boat, only going on shore twice. We boarded the boat, did 2 dives the next morning, followed by a land tour on Isla Bartolome, and then steamed north to Wolf and Darwin islands for a few days (about 12-16 hours north of the central islands). After doing 12 dives in those islands over 3 days, we headed back south to Isla Fernandina and Isabella for some much colder diving on the western side of the central islands. The final day was spent diving close to the first days of diving before doing a land tour and visiting Puerto Ayora which is the main town. I made the mistake of not realizing I was shooting in JPG rather than RAW, so some of these photos didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped, and had to do some extra conversion to black & white to negate the color loss, but overall I'm pretty happy with what I was able to get from the week. We had 3 dives with whale sharks (twice they turned around and came by a second time), 2 dives with pods of dolphins, orcas that swam under our inflatable boats that took us from the main boat to the dive sites, a pod of 30+ pilot whales on the surface, a couple large groupings of mobula rays, eagle rays, tons of moral eels, tons of turtles, a dozen or so mola molas (sunfish), sea lions on multiple dives, thousands of hammerhead sharks, tons of Galapagos sharks & black tip reef sharks, moray eels everywhere, penguins, etc. Far too many encounters to list. We did this trip back in 2016, but this year's trip far surpassed it.

Here's what I was able to capture

Scalloped hammerhead in front of a sunball, also shows snell's window which is the refraction interface between air and water that forms a circle when you look straight overhead. A wide enough lens can capture the entire window.
bXAxtmO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Galapagos Shark
mGxYR9O.jpg

School of mobula rays
UyrYIIF.jpg

qfHVIiz.jpg

Whale shark tail
k1PMNv0.jpg

Sea Robin, has lobster like legs that it uses to walk on the bottom
OwVZkIg.jpg

Scalloped hammerhead
ECyFVyW.jpg

One school of hammerheads
ERxxLXa.jpg

Bottlenose dolphins
SjNVjLw.jpg

Sea turtle feeding
mZDrety.jpg
NfxNwxC.jpg

Pilot whales
4AI8ddP.jpg

Darwin Island, also showing the remnants of Darwin's arch on the right. The arch itself collapsed earlier this year and now it's left with two pillars
cVs5MB7.jpg

Moray Eel poking out of a hole
8NHW7tE.jpg

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
Whale Shark
hH9jQQ2.jpg

Pair of Mola Molas
2OLSzin.jpg

Up close with a Mola Mola
BJVupUS.jpg

Pacific Giant Sea Horse
RFnooJX.jpg

Closeup of the collapsed arch, with the inflatable boat we dive off of in the foreground
syjXFKu.jpg

Sea Lion playing with us. Other diver in the background has a Canon 5DmkIV rig that he was shooting with
lWhcAMK.jpg

Marine Iguana
3lJEbCq.jpg

Mobula ray passing by
5JYale8.jpg

2 Sea turtles
Fah6tb3.jpg

More marine iguana
U3maygj.jpg

Frogfish
punYCl4.jpg

Galapagos penguin
njhAxQm.jpg
GAF5j1X.jpg

Lots more hammerheads
epY5FT1.jpg

Galapagos Tortoise
tTHhH8S.jpg

Qp47pHQ.jpg

lAK7zQE.jpg

Big octopus
YsG90IA.jpg

Eagle ray swimming in the shallows
F9X4wmX.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Glenn
Wow! Really nice! The B&W images may have been rescues but I quite them, especially the rays. Would love to see some of your equipment. Mine back in the day was all Nikonus and SLR’s in Ikelite cases. It has come a long way I am sure.

Reminds me of a song… “What’s that thing in the reef with the big shiny teeth, it’s a moray…”

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
Wow! Really nice! The B&W images may have been rescues but I quite them, especially the rays. Would love to see some of your equipment. Mine back in the day was all Nikonus and SLR’s in Ikelite cases. It has come a long way I am sure.

Reminds me of a song… “What’s that thing in the reef with the big shiny teeth, it’s a moray…”
nLkKzgr.jpg

Old rig on the right is my Olympus E-M5mkII with a macro port (and super macro diopter on it). New rig on the left is E-M1mkIII with the WWL-1 and 14-42mm EZ. Not shown are the arms and lights associated with it. I need to sell the old camera and housing at some point.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Some superb shots here .... but the B&W ones just totally lack life and detract from the amazing colours and life. Just MHO of course.

Oh and the song goes -
'If you're deep in the sea
and a fish bites your knee ....
it's a moray'

Real Name
Glenn
Old rig on the right is my Olympus E-M5mkII with a macro port (and super macro diopter on it). New rig on the left is E-M1mkIII with the WWL-1 and 14-42mm EZ. Not shown are the arms and lights associated with it. I need to sell the old camera and housing at some point.
Thank you for sharing that! I need to investigate this for while. Things really have come a long way for sure. Last dive I made with photo gear the SubSea flash caved and I had to let go of it to hunt it down later. I can appreciate the effort it takes to get the results you posted.

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
Some superb shots here .... but the B&W ones just totally lack life and detract from the amazing colours and life. Just MHO of course.

Oh and the song goes -
'If you're deep in the sea
and a fish bites your knee ....
it's a moray'
Agreed, however with the distances covered underwater, they would be nearly completely blue without going to b&w. So not much choice there. You have to get very very close underwater and bring your own lights with you to get any sort of real color out. Honestly if you aren't within about 6-10ft (2-3m) most of the time I don't even bother taking a photo due to the above limitations.

Keep in mind that these are all with a fisheye or wider than 7mm lens. So what looks far away is actually quite close.

Real Name
Paul
Nice shots. What's your opinion on the 14-42EZ as far as sharpness underwater? Wondering how it would do as an all in one to replace my 8-18, 12-40, and Oly 30mm underwater.

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice shots. What's your opinion on the 14-42EZ as far as sharpness underwater? Wondering how it would do as an all in one to replace my 8-18, 12-40, and Oly 30mm underwater.
By itself it's fine. Nothing special. I don't find the focal range useful for much. But with the WWL-1 it makes it pretty nice for close focus wide angle. It gets much sharper with the correction port on vs flat port. Plus you can still use the zoom function for things father away. I need to look into whether the CMC can be used with the 14-42 on a bayonet mount. That would make it so I can do macro and wide angle on the same dive.

To each his own, I found the B&W's freakin awesome , hope you are making some nice prints for yourself.
On a side note in your opinion a local 1/2 price book store has a olympus underwater rig in there used photo equipment for $50 is there a resale market for that if it works?

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
By itself it's fine. Nothing special. I don't find the focal range useful for much. But with the WWL-1 it makes it pretty nice for close focus wide angle. It gets much sharper with the correction port on vs flat port. Plus you can still use the zoom function for things father away. I need to look into whether the CMC can be used with the 14-42 on a bayonet mount. That would make it so I can do macro and wide angle on the same dive.
The 14-42 is compatible with the CMC. I doubt that it is a good idea to swap out the WWL mid dive though, as you would need to have a place to store it. I would rather use a dedicated macro lens.

Great photos anyway. Galapagos is certainly one of those dream destinations for me, although I'm not sure I would want to just do the safari with so few land trips. Right now it is way out of reach anyway. I hope by the time it becomes a possibility again, we haven't managed to destroy too much of our precious nature...

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
The 14-42 is compatible with the CMC. I doubt that it is a good idea to swap out the WWL mid dive though, as you would need to have a place to store it. I would rather use a dedicated macro lens.

Great photos anyway. Galapagos is certainly one of those dream destinations for me, although I'm not sure I would want to just do the safari with so few land trips. Right now it is way out of reach anyway. I hope by the time it becomes a possibility again, we haven't managed to destroy too much of our precious nature...
Bayonet mount on strobe arms. Lets you swap the WWL on and off as needed. I found doing back rolls off the boat into the water let lots of bubbles in between the port and the WWL so I had to remove it and shake bubbles out of each at the beginning of every dive anyway.

And you really don't have time to do any more land tours. The diving in the central islands is good but the entire point of spending the time and expense to get to the Galapagos is to see the big stuff that's only up at Wolf and Darwin. So the only good way to dive is to do a liveaboard. Otherwise doing Socorros instead is a much better idea.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
A few years my wifes sister went to a land only holiday (with a bit of snorkeling) to the Galapagos and I have to say I would not want to miss that over the diving that is there. If I had to choose I would take the land based trip, but I guess really one should be infinitely rich and just go for 4 weeks.

As to the WWL on Float Arms. It's possible of course, but it's pretty large and I'd be worried about handling. I've seen a setup where someone put the WWL (looking up vertically) on a float arm that went across the housing. That looked alright. Having it on one side float arm while trying to light a macro shot just seems impractical to me.

Last edited:

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
We had originally planned to do an extra week land based this trip but decided to cancel that this time around. Was going to fly the mother in law down with our kid for that week, but the logistics weren't great. The land based stuff that I've done and seen so far was cool, but the underwater stuff is really the star of the show for me. But I'll just about always opt to dive vs land based in nearly every situation. Hell, next time I go on a trip to Glacier National Park I'm planning on bringing my dive gear to do some freshwater diving.

Handling wasn't too bad with it on the float arm, but I definitely had it on the port for getting in and out of the water. A better permanent setup would be on a center arm like you are talking about.

Bristolero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Whale Shark
View attachment 914175

Pair of Mola Molas
View attachment 914176

View attachment 914177

Pacific Giant Sea Horse
View attachment 914178

Closeup of the collapsed arch, with the inflatable boat we dive off of in the foreground
View attachment 914179

Sea Lion playing with us. Other diver in the background has a Canon 5DmkIV rig that he was shooting with
View attachment 914180

Marine Iguana
View attachment 914181

Mobula ray passing by
View attachment 914182

2 Sea turtles
View attachment 914183

More marine iguana
View attachment 914184

Frogfish
View attachment 914185

Galapagos penguin
View attachment 914186 View attachment 914187

Lots more hammerheads
View attachment 914188

Galapagos Tortoise
View attachment 914189
View attachment 914190
View attachment 914191

Big octopus
View attachment 914192

View attachment 914193
Whale Shark
View attachment 914175

Pair of Mola Molas
View attachment 914176

View attachment 914177

Pacific Giant Sea Horse
View attachment 914178

View attachment 914179

View attachment 914180

Marine Iguana
View attachment 914181

Mobula ray passing by
View attachment 914182

2 Sea turtles
View attachment 914183

More marine iguana
View attachment 914184

Frogfish
View attachment 914185

Galapagos penguin
View attachment 914186 View attachment 914187

Lots more hammerheads
View attachment 914188

Galapagos Tortoise
View attachment 914189
View attachment 914190
View attachment 914191

Big octopus
View attachment 914192

View attachment 914193
Agreed, however with the distances covered underwater, they would be nearly completely blue without going to b&w. So not much choice there. You have to get very very close underwater and bring your own lights with you to get any sort of real color out. Honestly if you aren't within about 6-10ft (2-3m) most of the time I don't even bother taking a photo due to the above limitations.

Keep in mind that these are all with a fisheye or wider than 7mm lens. So what looks far away is actually quite close.
This is the most interesting set I have seen in a long time. The marine iguanas really took me by surprise. But my favorite was the first image in the first set taken under the hammerheads, so I think your B&W shots are impressive too.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
The variety of animals and incredible photos... Wow! When I've been underwater I've been happy to see just a tortoise or an unusual fish but maaaaaan you got it all. :D

Excellent photos. Hats off. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom