1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Diving in... may need a life preserver

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Blotzphoto, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    Thanks to a fun couple of months lurking here, I've decided to add an m43 kit to my collection in the hopes of shaking me out of the creative rut I'm in. I still love my Pentax, but we are going to give each other a little space. :rolleyes:

To the marketplace, and ebay I lept and much to my surprise I found a nice deal on an ep1 which will be fedexing its way here next week. On the other hand, I somehow ended up the high bidder on this epl1

Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3 MP Digital Camera - Black (Kit w/ 14-42mm Lens) 846431030007 | eBay

It won't kill me to end up with both cameras... but it will suck up a whole lot more of daddy's whiskey money than I intended. Looks like a really sketchy sale too... ah well. It's just money... right? :confused:

2. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    You might ask the ebay guy if you get the USB cable (it's a 9 pin Olympus special), which is needed to if you want to upgrade the firmware (you probably will). You also want the BLS1 battery, charger, and power cord. Your EP1 will use the same cable, charger, and battery but you would want it with the EPL1.

While the title mentions the14-42mm lens, wonder why it's not in his picture.

The Olympus software disks are unimportant and can be downloaded if you want it.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I wouldn't say that eBay listing necessarily looks shady...just extremely lazy. Since he included a photo of the box, and he didn't bother to add ANY specific description, I would guess that what will show up will be everything included in the original kit. Of course, the seller's laziness surely kept other buyers away and allowed you to get a sweet deal (provided everything is included as I presume it will be).

The way I see it this double purchase will let you evaluate which of these bodies you prefer. Personally I'd probably lean toward keeping the E-PL1 just because of the in-body flash and the ability to add an EVF, but you may find that you prefer the ergonomics of the E-P1. Whichever you choose, you should be able to re-sell the other and recoup your investment.

Welcome to the :43: club!

4. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I agree with "lazy" and also I wonder how I missed this deal ... I have several of these on my Watch List, but they always seem to get stratospheric.

Update: That one IS on my Watch list. It has 23+ hours to go. My guess is that bidding will end up over $200, perhaps close to $250.

5. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    "My guess is that bidding will end up over $200, perhaps close to $250."
    That makes me feel a little less queasy... The ep1 was only $198

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Right!

7. xmsnx

xmsnx Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Europe
    Only when you have it :rofl:

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I didn't even notice that bidding hadn't ended on that auction, even though I clicked through and glanced at it. I just made that assumption when the OP said he "ended up the high bidder." :redface:

Anyway, it looks as though another bidder stepped up and prevented the OP from "winning" this auction. The final price of $177.50 (shipped) seems like a decent enough price, though.

Lou, enjoy your E-P1 and please share some output once you get comfortable with it.