1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ditching my GF1 for a G2. A wise move?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sooper, Jun 17, 2012.

1. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    I know they're more or less the same camera, but the thing that draws me to the G2 more than anything is the view finder and swivel screen.

I've been very happy with my GF1 (had it for about 1.5 years) but lately I've been wondering. With the GF1 I was paying a little more for its compact size, but then I don't think I've ever taken the camera anywhere without my kata bag, so why should size matter to me?

Has anyone been in the same predicament?

Or someone who's had both? Was the size that much different?

Would appreciate anyone else's opinions too.

(Oh and I'm new here, hi!)

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I can tell you as a G1 user the fact that i have a swivel screen and a built in view finder that I can use at the same time as an accessory bounce flash or wireless trigger, makes all the difference to me. Awhile back I tried a GF2 with EVF for three days before the release of the GF3. I couldn't get past two things. The fact it didn't feel good in my big hands. And that I had to remove the VF to use a flash and compose at arms length instead of with a VF.
    SO I purchased a used G1 instead. At the time I didn't think a swivel screen mattered but man do I use it often now. I cant imagine not having it. It's basically the same as a G2 with out the video and touch screen. And the separate SD card slot on the side makes changing cards easier for me , Since I leave my tripod adapter mounted all the time. But the G2 is a great upgrade in my opinion.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you're happy with the IQ of the GF1, but not so happy with the ergonomics, I think you'll be quite happy with the G2. The swivel screen is very useful on occasion, and I think the G2 and GH2 have the best ergos of any m43 camera, including the much praised OMD.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Use both the GF-1 & G2. Regarding size there is a bit of a difference, but in terms of real world use not significant enough for me to notice. Pop the LVF-1 on GF-1 makes the G2 more "compact". G2 is my primary body. I need the evf for most my shots. Having a dedicated focus mode, tilt/swivel lcd are couple features I really like. The LVF-1 is a relatively low resolution evf. Probably the worst evf when compared to any other mu43 unit.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    If you can, I would spend a little more and get a camera with the next generation processor, like GH2 or G3. The prices on both have come down recently in anticipation of even newer versions. I think it's worth it for the improved ISO performance, better JPEG processing and faster Auto focus.

6. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    I see what you mean about the SD card slot, a bit of nuisance. I've also read about the inferior EVF add-on for the GF-series.

I think with the GH2 size definitely becomes an issue. OMD? (Sorry, not familiar with many terms).

Never thought about that, I guess it would be less compact with the LVF-1 attached.

This is very tempting indeed! I mean, it sort of meets half-way between the G2 and the GF1 in terms of ergonomics, and the performance as you say is superior. But here's what bothers me about Panasonic:

When they introduced the GF-2 (Should of really have been called something else), they had removed more or less all manual controls from the GF-1, changed the design (slightly) and a few others here and there. Result: A camera not in the same league (ergonomically).

Now with the G3, although not as drastic as the GF transformation, has lost a bunch of manual controls:
    Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G2-Micro-Four-Thirds-Camera-top.

Ahh! This drives me nuts! Some twerp was actually thinking "Hmmm, this camera has got the whole package, but I think I'll remove a few manual controls just for the sake of it".

Nevertheless it is still very appealing and it 25% smaller than the G2. But from what I've read, it doesn't have automatic LCD/EVF switching? Did the lumix team get hammered during the last few hours of designing this thing?

• Like Like x 1
  7. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Not "just for the sake of it" and no one got hammered.. :smile: It's just because if they would've left the same controls that G2 had, there wouldn't be nearly as many GH2 sold. New G-camera had to be "dumbed down", otherwise who'd pay extra $250 for GH2 (except videographers)?

8. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I have both too! :biggrin: I grabbed the G2 because I wanted an LVF and the price of the damn LVF1 was so high I couldnt see value in a low res atachment, that and the G2 body came on sale here locally for 269 bucks which was a steal for OZ. The sceen was not a primary reason to buy but man is it handy, I like to do sky shots and stuff where the camera points in funny angles, and I like to use my 5 dolla ebay remote shutter, its brilliant and works on both the GF1 and G2!

Oh and they share the same battery too!

I use the G2 most of the time now, its always in a bag, even fits in my smaller bag with the 14-45 on it, I am glad I got it rather than wait for something newer and higher spec, end of the day my photos look great, I have printed shots onto 10x12 and they look amazing, sharp and deep with lovely colours. I grabbed a 14-140 while they were on the sillyspecial of 450 bucks, the lens and G2 is better imho than me spending the same money on a G3 body. (which is hardly any smaller when you are holding it, just a different shape).

Now I am thinking of replacing the GF1 with a GX1 body, I reckon I would have the perfect kit then :cool:

9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    This is taken with the G2 and 45-200 at full telephoto.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/moccaman/7089749469/" title="Sunset: Panasonic G2 &amp; 45-200 at 200mm by dragginjeans, on Flickr"> 7089749469_ab9c55fb14_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Sunset: Panasonic G2 &amp; 45-200 at 200mm"></a>

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree with you, but the slight size difference does not seem like a bonus to me.. I have recently held a G3 and I feel the ergonomics of my G1 are way better, plus the G3 controls are worse and the loss of the eye sensor make me say that I would definitely never pay any of my money to get this camera. It is a down grade from my G1 I feel.

G1 http://www.mobiles-actus.com/photos/news/panasonic-lumix-g1-2.jpg

G2 http://it-cifra.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/panasonic_dmc-g2k_1.jpg

G3 http://neu-bei.foto-wolf-dresden.de/wp-content/uploads/Panasonic_G3_Brown_Bild3.jpg

I have no idea how to re-size theses images so i put them as links..

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    To be fair, there are still a lot of differences between the GH and G series, even ignoring the difference in controls. The G3 was clearly designed with small size as key, and price as a significant factor. Something had to give. You can't fit as many controls in a smaller form factor.

And if you look at the evolution of the Lumix m43 cameras, Panasonic clearly felt that simpler, more basic models was the way to go. The GF2 (and 3) and the G3 were clearly aimed more at P&S upgraders than the serious photographers that the GF1 and G1 / G2 were aimed at. From our perspective, that's not a good decision. From Panasonic's, it might have been wise. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the GF2/3 and G3 have outsold their predecessors.

• Like Like x 1
  12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If Panasonic had put the G3 sensor in a G2 body, I would have been a happy camper. They didn't and I wasn't. Tried the G3 and was very disappointed; bought a used GH2 to fill the role I had envisaged for a G2 replacement. Now I have the camera I wanted with good handling and controls but a whole lot of video capability that I'm unlikely to use. Oh, well...not a bad compromise.

13. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the input. A lot to think about here, and I'm not sure sure that I'll be going for the G2 anymore. Size really is an issue for me, and I think I may have to compromise. Although I'm not entirely happy with the lack of manual controls and auto EVF/LCD on the G3, a university friend has asked me if I wanted to buy his almost brand new G3 for £220. Seems like a steal, so I think I might go ahead with it.

But I think I'll be visiting a local camera store just to get a feel of it first before I head over there (2 hour journey).

I hope I'm making the right decision!

14. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I thought size was an issue too, always wanted the smallest and best, but I would not trade the G2 for anything (except a G2 with all the OMD advances!) and I dont carry the GF1 around without a bag anyway, so size has become a minor thing over the features and usability. Also the G2 supports the bigger lenses so much better. My G2 & 14-140 drops into my lowepro streamline 100 with room to spare, bag is small and you hardly notice you have it with you.

Pity you cannot compare the G2 and G3 together, I did and there is very little physical difference in real user terms.

15. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi. If your fiend has offered you a G3 for £220.00 I would 'bite his hand off' before someone else beats you to it - that is a very very good price - you would be very unlikely to get a G3 for anywhere near tht price on eBay
    I was going to suggest a GH1 might be an option if touchscreen was an issue but you seem to have put a high priority on compactness
    Having used G3s and GH1s in the past I would recommend both - the G3 being a very good compromise on size and able to be pocketed in a large coat pocket at least with a 14mm or 20mm pancake mounted
    The touchscreen is a onus and makes editing out your unwanted frames for instance much quicker

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    For what it's worth, I got a GF2, 20mm 1.7 and the Oly 14-42 zoom as my first kit, because I was obsessed with small size gear. Eventually I realized that I was always carrying a bag, and the image quality and features were more important to me anyway now that I've gotten more interested in photography for its own sake - so I bought a used G3. I have been very happy with it, coming from a GF2. The EVF and tilt screen turned out to be things I use all the time now that I have them, low light/high ISO performance is improved, and as a bonus it uses the same batteries and cards as my GF2 so I have an ideal dual body setup when I want it. I would absolutely say jump on that deal for a G3, I expect you'll get a lot out of the switch.

17. wbuzatto

wbuzatto Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Campinas, SP - Brazil
    Walmyr T. Buzatto
    I got a GF1 which I use a lot for UW photo and am thinking on a second body for general use, both for myself and my wife. She is in Paris right now and I'm checking FNAC's website for alternatives. I wanted to get the GH2 and a 14-140, but that body isn't available there. Both the G3 and the new Olympus OM-D E-M5 are available, the latter either body only or with the kit lens 12-50.

I'm limited to what I can get on that site, because she won't be able to shop around. If I may take a ride here on my first post in this forum, which one would be a better deal (not in $ terms) given my current set?

18. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Agreed. Done deal and very happy. Think I'll hold on to the GF1 for a couple of weeks before selling, just in case there's any nasty surprises with the G3.

• Like Like x 1
  19. wbuzatto

wbuzatto Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Campinas, SP - Brazil
    Walmyr T. Buzatto
    I'd be very interested in having your feedback, as I'm about to purchase either the G3 (see my post above) or the new Olympus OM-D E-M5 as a second body to my current GF1 and Panasonic lenses.

20. Have you considered keeping the GF-1 as a 2nd or backup body? Not sure what the going sale prices are for the GF-1. These early gen sensors are still capable of creating some very high quality images. I think GRID's images of his phototsafari in Tanzania were taken using a GH-1 and GF2. Tech is nice, but the limiting element tends to be the person.

• Like Like x 1