Ditching E-PL5 for em10iii or gx9 or...?

Vague

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

Planning to ditch my flimsy E-PL5 to something better. I’m into landscape, street and portrait photography. Found my self torn between dozens of Pan models, but kinda leaning toward the GX9, or to get the oly em10iii. Other suggestions are welcome :clapping:

Thanks!

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Do you have a lot of glass from either? it might be a consideration as some features are only supported if you use the same manufacturer and lenses (eg, DFD, or Olympus Sync IS). It’s an annoying situation, but it doesn’t stop me mixing and matching my pany lenses to my E-M5.2 and E-M1.2.

Otherwise the 20MP sensor offers that little bit extra detail that benefits landscape shooters, so I’d go the GX9 to stick to the Pen/GX form factor, or a Pen F.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Unless weather sealing is a must, you have an incredible set of choices to consider. Pen-F is not the cheapest bust has sensor shift high res for landscape, and the wonderful JPEG dial for street shooting fun.

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
I absolutely loved my E-PL5 and used it heavily on a daily basis photographing Central America. To be frank - if when you say “something better” you are referring to image quality - changing to one the other cameras you mention isn’t going to make much of a difference.

I have 2 E-M10’s currently (first edition) and I really like them. They focus fast and have an nice EVF. Fact is though that I don’t use the EVF that often, preferring to compose and shoot from the screen which is generally tipped out. The EVF creates a problem for me as it is often in the way of my using the screen to compose. Times like that, I miss my E-PL5 as well as the ability to smoothly slip it into my pants pocket.

The two huge advantages of the E-M10 (as well as 2’nd and 3’rd versions) over the E-PL5 for me are - WiFi connectability to my phone and iPad. I am addicted to that and can post and share while I am on the streets shooting.

One of my favourite Olympus features in more current models like the E-M10 and E-M1, is Live Composite. I love it. I use it all the time. No other camera manufacturer provides it. Here are 2 Live Composite shots from a couple of weeks ago at Masaya Volcano and The National Palace in Managua, Nicaragua —- using my iPhone 6 torch to write the letters (backwards):

AD401B7B-5AC4-4DF3-A1BB-725EBB1CB371.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

C45D00E7-D676-4C67-9294-CB0623A94561.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know nothing about the Panasonic camera bodies.

———

Vague

Mu-43 Regular
Do you have a lot of glass from either? it might be a consideration as some features are only supported if you use the same manufacturer and lenses (eg, DFD, or Olympus Sync IS). It’s an annoying situation, but it doesn’t stop me mixing and matching my pany lenses to my E-M5.2 and E-M1.2.

Otherwise the 20MP sensor offers that little bit extra detail that benefits landscape shooters, so I’d go the GX9 to stick to the Pen/GX form factor, or a Pen F.
Got the Olympus kit lenses (14-42 & 40-150) , couple of body caps, and Sigma 30mm f2.8. I believe all of them will work with the Gx9 wit no issues ?
I guess the only downside of getting the 20MP sensor is that I won’t be eligible for Google photos free unlimited backup :doh: lol

Unless weather sealing is a must, you have an incredible set of choices to consider. Pen-F is not the cheapest bust has sensor shift high res for landscape, and the wonderful JPEG dial for street shooting fun.
Weather sealing is preferred.. you never know when it comes handy! But not having it won’t be a deal breaker. Pen-F is an excellent choice, however, it’s price tag pushes me toward the G9.. for more bang for the buck..

I absolutely loved my E-PL5 and used it heavily on a daily basis photographing Central America. To be frank - if when you say “something better” you are referring to image quality - changing to one the other cameras you mention isn’t going to make much of a difference.

I have 2 E-M10’s currently (first edition) and I really like them. They focus fast and have an nice EVF. Fact is though that I don’t use the EVF that often, preferring to compose and shoot from the screen which is generally tipped out. The EVF creates a problem for me as it is often in the way of my using the screen to compose. Times like that, I miss my E-PL5 as well as the ability to smoothly slip it into my pants pocket.

The two huge advantages of the E-M10 (as well as 2’nd and 3’rd versions) over the E-PL5 for me are - WiFi connectability to my phone and iPad. I am addicted to that and can post and share while I am on the streets shooting.

One of my favourite Olympus features in more current models like the E-M10 and E-M1, is Live Composite. I love it. I use it all the time. No other camera manufacturer provides it. Here are 2 Live Composite shots from a couple of weeks ago at Masaya Volcano and The National Palace in Managua, Nicaragua —- using my iPhone 6 torch to write the letters (backwards):

View attachment 773392

I know nothing about the Panasonic camera bodies.

———
Wow, nice clicks you got there, Robert.
The E-PL5 is nice indeed, was in total love with it, though I was a Nikon junkie for several years before the Oly. TBH I feel the tech geek within me is making those decisions :speechless: ... you know, bigger sensor, more controls, built in wireless connections, etc..

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi,

Planning to ditch my flimsy E-PL5 to something better. I’m into landscape, street and portrait photography. Found my self torn between dozens of Pan models, but kinda leaning toward the GX9, or to get the oly em10iii. Other suggestions are welcome :clapping:

Thanks!
If you aren't into video much why not just get the EM-10II ?

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Are you a big user of the SCP? Do you limit the screens that are displayed when you hit the "display" button?

In other words are there things about the Olympus interface that you will miss? Olympus and Panasonic both make nice options, but if you've been using the same body for a number of years there are definitely differences that you may not like. I've used too many different bodies not to be able to use either, but there are things I definitely prefer about Olympus bodies.

Of the Olympus options (EM10.3 / EM5.2 /Pen F)
EM10.3 - Many look at the 10.3 as an updated in some ways and simplified in others version of the EM10.2. Even if it is simplified it's still a BIG upgrade from what you have.

EM5.2 - If it's not too big/heavy for you than it's a great option. And because it's soon to be replaced you can find a lot of bargains on them.

Pan F - If you can swing the price it's a good option and keeps the rangefinder style. But it does have an articulated instead of tilt screen.

If you think the the difference won't bother you or just want to try a Panasonic body than I would definitely go for the GX9. Advance features, rangefinder style, and tilt screen.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom