Ditching E-M5 for GM1

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by vallver, Oct 17, 2013.

1. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Does it make sense?

I am currently very happy with my E-M5 but I still feel it's too bulky sometimes...

I don't use the weather-sealing too much but I would definitely notice the lack of stabiliser...

Do you think the quality of the GM1 will be comparable to the E-M5? Is the sensor up to par? (I think it's the same as GX7)

Any thoughts on this? I would gain on portability (specially with the 12-32...)

The alternative is to just buy the 12-32 and use it with the E-M5 when I want something really pocketable
  2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    they're very different camera's IMO.
    sensor quality is quite comparable (if it's using the gx7 sensor)

The ergonomics is going to be a big difference. The GM1 has less physical buttons and dials. Also lacks an EVF too. Has a much slower flash sync. Max mechanical shutter speed of 1/500 (though it has a much higher electronic shutter speed). No hot shoe attachment for external flashes. No weatherproofing.

Do any of the above issues matter to you?
  4. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    If you're looking for a smaller body, the E-P5 or Panasonic GX7 may be closer to the experience of using a pro camera like the OM-D. Admittedly, neither of those is really pocketable, even with a pancake. The GM1 looks great, but if you're used to the dials and knobs on the OM then you might find it frustrating to have less control.

Personally I'm waiting for the lens to be offered on its own, but in your case I think it'll really depend on what you use your camera for. If you mainly stay on auto and take snapshots, the GM1 will give you all you need in a tiny package, with excellent image quality--but if you're a fan of Manual settings on the OM it may not do what you need.
  5. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    It could be good as a second body if you're willing to go that route. The middle ground for that would be the E-P5 or GX7 but I think the GX7 is the better choice due to the built-in EVF.

I honestly can't think of ditching my GX1 but I do want the GM1 as well due to its size.
  6. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would recommend the epl5 or ep5.. you get a hotshoe and the option for a vf.. plus the IBIS.. not sure if the new gm1 has ibis...

I find i reach for my epl5 more than my omd.. but once i am using the omd, it doesn't leave my hands... but i really like both.. especially the epl5.. it is lighter and perfect for walking around..
  7. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    when compared to other compact M43 cameras like the GX1, GF5, EP5 the GM1 isn't much more compact depth wise. The flange protrusion is the difference. All this translates to is more difficult handling since the body is thinner.

pancakes like the 20/1.7 are taller than the GM1 body.

My sense is that this would make a good pocket camera if you have M43 lenses.

Sometimes I'm tempted by the GX7 when I feel my EM5 is too bulky, but i would miss the 5axis IBIS for shooting video with legacy glass. And I would miss the built in EVF with the EP5. I would be ok with using the VF4 on the EP5 if I didn't need a hotshoe flash.

So at the end of the day, I'm still happy with my EM5.
  8. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Thought I'd add my arguably verbose two cents to address the OP's main questions.

The GM1 does look significantly smaller than the EM-5 on all fronts. As a poster above noted in the provided link, it is even smaller than the EPM-2 when compared visually. So yes, it would help with regards to pocketability.

Image quality tests haven't been published yet to my knowledge, but if it's true that it uses the same GX7 sensor and processing algorithm, then the IQ will be essentially the same as that of the EM-5. DxOMark recently posted their review of the GX7 sensor to quantify that.

But I do want to add that one should take everyone's input as to what they think you should buy with a grain of salt. I believe that when all is said and done everyone's personal opinion is just that- a PERSONAL opinion. Furthermore, these opinions are often biased by what the individual owns, and there have been numerous psychological studies to show that once you buy into a brand and have formed some positive associations with it, that you tend to form recommendations as much on emotion as you do on logic. Only you can determine which combination of size, features, aesthetics and functionality works for you and justifies you parting with your hard-earned cash. To be perfectly honest, I get a bit miffed when I see such intense brand loyalty that folks break themselves up into the Oly camp (more often) or the Panny camp (less often) without looking at each camera on its true merits. Each company makes great products- complimentary ones- with a variety of different features to meet the needs of various target markets. Ultimately this is a tool- or granted a toy sometimes ; )- and the tool or toy that you pick is entirely based on what you need and want it to be.

For me, I've been very happy with my OM-D EM-5 after moving to it from the GH3. I just pre-ordered the GM1 as a second camera for its pocketability and similar IQ to the EM-5. At the end of the day, you can get so involved in the tech specs of the camera (does it/doesn't it have IBIS) that you lose sight of the fact that someone like Ansel Adams had none of this. The quality of a photograph has less to do with the camera than it does with the person behind it.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    From one of the biggest m4/3-cameras straight to the smallest? Ehm, there's plenty of options in between and most of them wouldn't be as crippled as the GM1... Unless you enjoy P&S I'd look for something else for my only camera ;)

Just my 2 cents...
  10. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I saw a size comparison between the GM1 and the GF3 and the GM1 is noticably smaller. I had the GF3 and it felt too small and for that fact alone I'm not interested in the GM1 (I don't have big hands either). I have an EM-5 now and I don't think I can go back to not having a LCD that doesn't tilt, particularly when the body doesn't have an EVF. As mentioned by others, the lack of additional dials is also something I don't want to give up as I'm used to the number of dials on the EM-5.

If I get the GM1 it would be for my wife, who prefered the size of the GF3 to the GX1 and the EM-5.
  11. lawcat

lawcat New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2013
    Would the very small size of the GM1 make it harder to take pictures without the camera shaking? I know the E-M5 is large enough to feel stable in my (small) hands when I press the shutter button, but I'm wondering whether that will be a problem with the GM1 since it'll be so light...
  12. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    It's quite possible. I definitely struggle with body stability on my E-PM1 which is another 20% or so bigger than the GM1. Some people use a stick-on button for their shutter release to reduce the resistance, but I haven't gotten around to picking one up yet - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=16951
  13. lawcat

lawcat New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2013
    Thank you! I didn't know about the stick on button. Looks like people say it actually works. This slightly reduces my trepidation about potentially blurred pics :)
  14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd wait and see about the 12-32 on an E-M5, to see if it runs into shutter shock problems with the heftier shutter of the E-M5 like the 14-42 PZ did. The GM1 uses a lighter, slower design, which is why it only goes to 1/500 mechanical. In any case, I doubt the E-M5 can ever be truly pocketable with any lens. I've tried pocketing my E-M5 with just the body cap, but the EVF just sticks out too much...
  15. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013

Actually, the 14-42X has less shutter shock on the E-M5...