1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ditching Canoln 6D for OMD for mainly portrait work - convince me

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wolf, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    I'm thinking of ditching my canon 6d (full frame) with 85mm for the OMD with 75mm + 45mm lenses

But i'm intrested in seeing some of your best portrait work to convince me
    (both studio and outdoors :p)

is it easy to use fill flash with the OMD ?

thanks in advance !

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Flash and studio strobes work on the OM-D the same as it works on Canon, Nikon, or any other standard system. You have no difference in capabilities, so your differences are going to be in the ability of the photographer, really. I don't think looking at other people's portrait work is really best way to shop for a camera, personally. ;)

Are there any areas you are concerned about? Any specific features you use on your 6D that you might think you'll miss? Perhaps those of us experienced with the Micro Four-Thirds system can offer you some work-arounds or feedback about any concerns or areas you may be worried about lacking in. There is no lack in "capabilities" of either system. They both do the same thing, mostly in the same way but sometimes in different ways. Finding out which system is best for you is not as simple as looking at photos since they can both be used to produce the same quality photographs.

At any rate, here are some studio portrait samples using Olympus Micro Four-Thirds cameras older than the OM-D:

wig_wednesday4_web.
    wig_wednesday_web.
    wig_wednesday2_web.
    meme_lashes3_web.
    tulip_meme_web.

All of the above should have been shot with the Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD, except the last one which was probably shot with the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 (2003 model).

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    A couple of grab shots

I have not done any formal portraits with the OMD+75, but have used it with the FL-600R as fill flash for a photo of my wife

She_with_Cilla.

This is a grab shot as I came across a photog doing a model shoot on a windy day, held his light stand for a while and before I left I grabbed this image with the 75.

The_model.

4. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    thanks, I know the omd is a very capabable camera but i'd just like to see some full resolution photos at iso 200-400 to see how sharp they are at 100%

:)

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Both wonderful shots, Ian! I particularly like the one of your wife though. It feels so warm!

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmmm... In that case these web-sized images probably won't do you much good, and I don't post full resolution photos on the internet. I could send you some headshots in PM but if you're looking to peep at 100% then it would be better for you to look at some photos using the exact same body and lens combination that you're looking at. I would be only be able to provide you with a hodge-podge of body+lens combinations spanning a decade of Olympus digital systems, lol. Sorry. :/ Some others could probably help you though, as the E-M5 + m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8 is a popular combination.

Don't forget though how much lighting affects the sharpness of your images too. It's hard to compare unless you do side-by-side using the different cameras/lenses in the same physical setting. That's why all those comparison test blogs are useful, as droll as they may be. ;)

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The best strategy might be to rent an OMD + lens and do side by side comparison shots with your current gear in a controlled setting. It would also let you see how you like the handling, menus, etc.

8. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
  9. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
  10. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Ok, i'll send you some ;)

11. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    do you use a shallow DOF frequently? that's the one area I think you'd be taking a real step back.

you're also getting a few less pixels, but if that was your main concern you should just spring for a D800, the difference between 20 and 16 isn't much at all. your high-ISO abilities will also take a step back, but if your subjects are relatively still this is easily made up for by having stabilization and lower ISOs.

12. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Mat, I really enjoyed your blog on the em5 in pro situations. It reflects what I have also found with a lot of excellent images. It is a very fair review that points out the benefits and shortcomings both. Thanks for the posts!

13. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Thanks, glad that you enjoyed it!

14. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Yes, less pixels and less DOF. But what the MFT can offer is more than enough for me and my work. And with the right lenses, you can have a lot of DOF on MFT bodies. After that, it becomes a matter of personal taste. If your style requires the shallow DOF possible anytime, then full frame is a better choice.
    As for the pixels, I used to work before with a 12mp body, so I don't miss that either.

15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice

Nice shots Ned and a good set of examples of the capability of four thirds.

16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.. I don't have Oly 75 mm yet but I did a shoot in harsh sun with 45 mm and 60 mm Olympus Lenes and FL600 .. Some are a bit over exposed because of my lack of technique but otherwise I don't see any reason why it won't serve your purpose :2thumbs: Ned , Guilo and his friend of mine Spiro at www.itsallstyletome.com are finest examples anyway

Cheers
    Bhupinder

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/oly-45-mm-vs-60-mm-portraits-comparasion-some-images-48378/

17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  18. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
  19. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Here's a few with 75 and 45, all with 1 or 2 speedlights.

qBytgJA.

DEQ0tNf.

iUQfQWB.

Yf0mWEH.

I came from a 5DIII, where my most used lenses were 85/135L. In practice there is absolutely no difference in how I do strobist work in using the OM-D vs the 5DIII (shoot in manual, flash in manual). I even use the exact same off camera flash gear (Yongnuo flashes + Phottix strato triggers).

Minor differences is that I now get 1/250th sync vs 1/200th on the Canon, and Olympus renders WB a little differently than I'm used to - but that's really a non-issue.

20. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Great pictures!