1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Distortion, Geometry, Lens Correction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by nylife, Feb 14, 2013.

1. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    Just curios how the rest of the people deal with it.
    I used to just use free transform in Photoshop and keystone when needed.
    Usually taking portraits or street photography its non-issue, when taking pictures of building it usually becomes an issue.
    i have tried probably all software that's out there and found that DXO at least for the those things works the best, while it may not be the best RAW converter for lens corrections it works the best, but i am curious how others deal with it as i am always learning :)
    I know Capture One is an excellent raw converter and so is Ninja, but i dont think they have anything for lens correction?
    anyway looking forward to hear from the rest of the people?
    Hoping this wont become an argument which software is better, i just want to learn how others are dealing with the issue above :)

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have used lens correction in Lightroom, it works quit good.

3. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    do they have lens profiles for all the micro four thirds camera/lens combos, last time i checked they did not?

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    M43 lenses are automatically corrected in LR. That is why it isn't shown. There is no option to not correct them in LR.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

M43 lenses are not auto corrected ... not all of them anyway. Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies do not get fully corrected (only partial CA). None of the manual lenses get corrected in the slightest.

The profiles are updated and added to often so check regularly ...

Still nothing for Nokton lenses. Enterprising folks can build their own (please do and share!).

6. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    For the odd occasion I have felt the need to further correct Distortion and/or Geometry on buildings, I find LR4.3 very good.

Under the Manual tab in Lens Correction is Transform, containing Distortion, Vertical, Horizontal, Rotate, and Scale.

7. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I create my own distortion (and CA correction) profiles using hugin, and then add the results to my local lensfun database. With that I can correct any camera+lens combination I want, all for a couple hours of effort (because I'm meticulous).

Basically I follow Adding new lenses to the database (especially the links at the bottom), and then use the result in ufraw, digikam, and these days darktable.

-Nicolas

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I think you are right in stating that DXO can achieve geometric and distortion correction that isnt achievable in the likes of LR and PN (which I own) and presumably C1 (which I dont). They do of course have a totally separate plugin 'DXO Viewpoint' which would enable PS/LR users to achieve these corrections without the need of buying their raw converter.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use Lightroom 4 but I prefer to manually correct. Sometimes I correct a little and sometimes a lot, on rare occasions I leave the distortion. It all depends on the photo, amount of distortion and my mood. I do find that the correction tools in Lightroom are the best balanced - in other words - very able to correct while being easy to use.

10. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

I've always been happy with LR4 manual correction but I will have a look at the DXO plugin.

David

11. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    while i do have access to LR, everytime i try it, i just cant seem to bring myself to liking it, and its not the quality its the how things work, i find it easier to just use photoshop