Distance scales

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Superstriker#8, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Are distance scales on legacy lenses accurate for μ4/3?

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 mobile app

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    not in my experience. I usually use the near end of f8 to approximate distance. then again, I'm generally not very good at estimating distance to my subject by eye anyway.

the only lens I have experience with is the Hexanon 50/1.4

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Most of the cheaper adapters focus slightly past infinity. This will throw off accuracy of the distance scale. The more precisely machined adapters will be more accurate. Cosina, metabones and Novoflex make better adapters in the $100 to $150 range.

Fred

4. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Assuming you have a theoretical perfect adapter, would the distance scale be accurate?

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 mobile app

5. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    No.
    Distance scales on lenses are not accurate enough to achieve critical focus on a digital sensor to begin with. For zone focusing on film bodies they were a good approximation but also very inaccurate and only used if there's no time for focusing, for whatever reason.
    They cannot work though on a crop sensor because the circle of confusion changes which is responsible for DoF.

Just do the math yourself or use dofmaster to see how DoF changes across different format at same FL