1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Disproportionate Combination: Hexanon 80-200 f/3.5 on a E-P1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Laserguy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. I recently won a not-particulary-expensive auction for a pair of lenses: a Konica Hexanon 57 mm f/1.4 (the lens in which I was interested, after reading the positive comments from several folks around here) and a Hexanon 80-200 f/3.5 zoom. The latter lens is quite old (pre-1975, I think, based on the aperture and the 'silver' aperture ring), and is purportedly optically decent for a zoom of its era. It's also, well, a bit large...

4672338199_8dcfd11765_b.

(That little silver thing on the back of the lens is my camera.)

After prying out a stuck filter in the hood, I tried a couple of test shots. These were taken at 200 mm at just about the minimum of focal length of 2 m. The former is at f/3.5, while the latter is at f/5.6. (A third shot at f/8 looked similar to the f/5.6 image.)

4672948738_4529ee7d26_b.

4672954812_1342b02a8b_b.

The f/5.6 image is OK, but the f/3.5 is a bit too soft; it's not clear to me whether this softness is inherent to the lens or if I just stuggled to manually-focus a 400 mm-equivalent lens that weighs as much as a 1981 Buick Skylark and has a tripod mounting surface the size of a dime.

It may not be a practical lens for most purposes, but it's a lot of fun. Has anyone else tried this lens? Did you like it?

2. (Apologies, BTW, for the noise level in the picture of the lens; it was a little dim in my living room for my old F30.)

3. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    What a monster. I have a 300mm Minolta of that vintage but yours dwarfs it.

They have their purposes. Try a 2X teleconverter on it LOL.

Bokeh Diem

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    That is a Monster. I have the Zoom-Nikkor-C 80~200 F4.5, about the same vintage. It is much smaller and uses 52mm filters. Quite sharp, as good as the 200/4.

The adapter to use an F-Mount lens arrived today. Only lens tried on the EP2 is the 55/1.2 so far.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bokeh, hah! I actually just missed out on an auction for a Hexanon 50/1.7 (as recommended by Brian S.) with a 2x teleconverter. Now I'm sorry I didn't get it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.