Disneyworld Vacation What Lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by coastlineamps, Apr 2, 2013.

1. coastlineamps

coastlineamps Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    All,
    I like to say hello as a first timer here and just now getting into the Micro world. I have a GH2 with 14-42 kit lens and looking for a very good lens to cover all my adventures in disneyworld coming up in may. I have no idea what to use but really want an autofocus as I am not well educated in manual picture taking.

My intention is to take lots of pictures of the park, parades, characters, and indoor activities. Can someone recommend a descent lens to cover this or is my kit lens good enough? Thanks

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome aboard!

I like a small waterproof point & shoot for Disney, as it is non-obtrusive and keeps me more focused on having fun with my family, but that's just me.

This question comes up fairly often. Check out other posts on the topic HERE.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    For outdoor day activities the kit lens you have is fine. If you want to have some photos in low lite you should get a fast prime. I would suggest to get the Panasonic 20mm it is fast, small and very good. other option is the Olympus new 17mm F/1.8 it is wider larger and costs more. I would not recommend the P14 and the Sigma 19 because they give you only half a stop.

For all avaliable lenses for :43: you can look at Micro Four Thirds Lenses - HENNIGArts : Gear

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    m43 is the perfect system for a family vacation like Disney. Light enough it won't become a burden to carry, but still flexible enough to allow shots in low light, and a wide range of focal lengths.

In my suggestions, I'm assuming you're not really interested in very premium, and expensive, lenses like the 12-35 and 35-100 f/2.8. If price isn't an issue, consider those.

Anyway, do you want one lens to do it all, or one lens in addition to the 14-42? If one lens, it's hard to beat the 14-140. It's a bit heavy, but probably not much more than carrying the 14-42 and a tele zoom. It's range will cover almost anything you're likely to need, and IQ is very good. It also focuses very quickly on the GH2. It's only real weakness is shooting in low light, indoors, but that's going to be true of any reasonably priced zoom. I travelled around southern Europe last spring, and the 14-140 was by far my most used lens.

If you want one additional lens, then I'd offer up a few possibilities, depending on what you think you'll need most. Are you looking for family snapshots, or trying for memorable images? (There's nothing wrong with either, btw.) The 14-42 will probably suffice for most family pictures if you use flash when your indoors. If you want to be able to cover low light without flash, the 20mm f/1.7 is very, very good, and reasonably priced (not cheap, reasonable for the quality it offers).

A longer lens can be useful if you want to try to get pics of the children while they're on rides and you're not. If you want more coverage in the tele range, the 45-150 would be a good choice, if you can find one. Light and compact, and pretty inexpensive. If you want a tele, and can't find that lens, the 45-200 is decent, although maybe a bit heavy. I'd stay away from the 45-175. There just seem to be too many questions about image quality in some situations.

Personally, I love wide angle. They can give you perspectives, and images, that nothing else will. And if you're on a ride next to the child, and wide angle can get shots of their expressions from close up you might not get otherwise. Unfortunately, there's nothing very inexpensive that's appreciably wider than the 14-42. If it interests you, look at the Oly 9-18.

HTH.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    There is one choice for UWA that is not expensive, it is the Rokinon/Smayang 7.5 Fisheye but I would not recommend it as a second lens for Disney.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    That's funny. If I were going to carry a kit and make photography a priority at Disney I would love to have a fisheye in my bag. I think that would provide some creative opportunities to capture and accentuate the whimsical nature of WDW, above and beyond the standard fare that everyone seems to capture.

The OP wants AF only, so I'm not recommending it, but I am now considering it myself for a trip to Disney in June. Thanks elavon(not)...:wink:

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The 14-42 works pretty well. You might consider the Oly 40-150 (or it's Panasonic counterparts). The longer lens is very handy taking pictures of shows and is really useful the Animal Kingdom for those animal shots. The 14-42 for the family shots and the 40-150 for shots of attractions and the park itself is a handy kit. Plus, the 40-150 is only $199.

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Actually because of the great DOF the 7.5 is kind of auto focus lens. i just set it to approx one meter at F/5.6 and everything from around 0.5 meter to infinity is in focus. You can check it with DOF calculator Online Depth of Field Calculator

9. coastlineamps

Mar 25, 2013
    You guys are quick in answering. Thanks a lot of info to digest but I might settle on a 14-140 to add to the vacation.I have a point and shoot and it SUCKS..................The autofocus takes so long because you have to press the shutter button half way down and it scans the foucus areas which takes time and I get blurred images everywhere that is why I am happy with the GH2.....

Anyone got an 14-140 for sale?

10. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    If you are not a prime shooter, then the 14-140 is a great all around lens for travel. Have fun at Disney.

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I went to Disney World for a conference back in January and spent one afternoon/evening at Epcot. I brought both of my bodies, my 14-150mm, the 14mm, the 20mm, the 30mm and the 45mm. I have to admit it was overkill but I wanted to play with them all.

I could have easily survived with just the 14-150mm except at night. Once it gets dark you need a faster lens. Both the 20mm and the 45mm did well in low light.

If I were to do it all again I would bring just one body with the 14-150mm and the 20mm. If I knew there would be a lot of low light shooting I would bring the 45mm as well.

If you want a do-all lens get the 14-150mm or since you are shooting Panasonic the 14-140mm{that way you have IS}. Have fun!

12. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I was at Disney in January, and primarily used the kit O14-42 II R and a P20 for indoor/night time as that is what I had available. The O40-150 got a little use at Animal Kingdom for "wildlife." I found that I often wanted a wider field of view rather than more narrow, as I was always in very close proximity to my kids (three year old twins). Wider FOV would have allowed me to get more of them plus some of the environment in the shot without needing to be a number of steps away. Taking a few steps back isn't always possible (i.e. when you are seated right next to the subject on a ride) and even when it is you are likely to have people walk in front of you...

I think a P14-140 or O14-150 would make a fine choice, with something wider than f/2 for night and indoor shots, but a P12-35 would probably let you get away with just one lens for nearly all lighting conditions (at a hefty price, unfortunately). I could also see getting by with just a P14 and/or P20 if you like primes, but an O17 f/1.8 or Sigma19 might do as well. A fisheye would be a lot of fun at Disney, too - but not as a primary lens.

13. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Lumix LX7. $300 f1.4 to f2.3 28-90mm tack sharp, close focus, fits in your pocket. great video. 45-150 for your GH2. $190 OOPS. The lx7 has gone off sale on Amazon.

14. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    +1

14-150 is such a good super zoom for trips. Slowing down to take photos is one thing, having fun with family is another.

15. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I've got to say the P14-140. I have carried that lens around Disney on my G5 and been very happy with it. I do recommend getting a spinning tripod mount so that your camera hangs upside down and the lens lays close to your body. Much more comfortable for me and better in crowded situations.

I've used this set up on both a family vacation and a grown-up vacation where I took very different types of shots. Definitely didn't want to mess with changing lenses when we were with family. Happy with it both ways.

-db96 aka "disneybride96"

8165771716_889469bdc6_n.
    Mickey by McKenna717, on Flickr

8529756824_e1df6f35d9_n.
    DiVine by McKenna717, on Flickr

16. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Even tho I did bring a superzoom last time we went, I feel that kit lens is enough, the only time you might need anything above 50mm is if you want to get close shots of characters during parade, or if you decide to go to the other side of the street during parade to get a close shot of your family from across. you might be tempted to take super zoom shots of the kids on rides, but I feel that including more of the rides tells a better story.

now if you also plan on going to animal kingdom, then a zoom would definitely come in handy, but in general i think it's more helpful getting a 20mm 1.7 if you don't already have one, very small and does wonders at night/indoors.

I also second the recommendation of a cheap waterproof point and shoot, since you are probably gonna hit the pool and it's really fun to have one.

17. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I went at Christmas and used mainly the 14-150 (I shoot Oly), and a 17/2.8 for indoor/lowlight shots. I like superzooms for these trips because it should mainly be about family, and not family waiting on your photography hobby. You could get by with the 14-42, though you'd miss closeups of the characters (or other faces in the crowd). If you were going to get just one lens, get the Panasonic 20/1.7. It's small enough to keep in your pocket and then it will be great for low light shots at night, or indoors.

18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    14-42 + 20 1.7 will do. or for one lens - i'll choose the 12-35, for the attractions that are in the dark, the 2.8 helps.

19. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
  20. coastlineamps

Mar 25, 2013
    Those are some beautifull shots indoors. I am on my way to getting the 25mm next week and now looking for a good tele lens.