1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Disney's Epcot Florida - image heavy!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by speedandstyle, Jan 26, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last week I went to a conference at Disney World and got to spend one afternoon/evening at Epcot. Anyway here are some of the pictures I took. I tried not to take the "touristy" shots you always see. Unfortunately the weather was horrible. It was very overcast with a drizzling rain that came and went.
    epcot-trees-small.
    Epcot from a not so common angle!

epcot-detail-small.
    Detail shot of the underside of Epcot.

epcot-cover-small.
    Disney logo on manhole cover.

epcot-kidwater2-small.
    Kid playing in fountain. His dad was taking pics with his iPhone! I don't normally shoot people I don't know but I couldn't resist. If this is your kid and don't want his picture on the web - let me know and I will remove.

epcot-duck-small.
    Duck that posed for me! I think he was expecting food but I got him instead.

• Like Like x 1
  2. speedandstyle

Here are some shots from the Morocco area of Epcot.
    epcot-moroccoarches-small.
    This arch and alley is referenced in Scott Kelby's book "The Digital Photography Book, vol1" {page 167}. He mentions how if you move one way or the other that you see a restaurant and people eating. It is true!

epcot-moroccomarket-small.
    I had to wait forever to get this shot! So many people and I hate to say it but just rude! Not just of me as a photographer but me in a wheelchair too! The sun came out a bit while I was in there as can be seen by the light through the ceiling.

epcot-moroccofountain-small.
    Tried this shot with my 20mm and it didn't come out well. Switched to my 14mm and it worked great. I corrected the angles in Lightroom to get the pillars straight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

Here are a few I took late in the afternoon/early evening. I had trouble with my power wheelchair as the battery died!:mad:  Anyway there is a period of time when I couldn't shoot so I missed a few opportunities.

epcot-englandtele-small.
    Close-up of one of the phonebooths they have in England. Shot this with the 14mm. As you can see the sun is going down.

epcot-canadalamp-small.
    I did not shoot much in Canada because the sun was all but gone and it had started raining again. I did get this shot of a lamp that is next to the lake. I like it except I think the palm trees throw off the "Canadian" feel.

epcot-palmnight-small.
    Once it was dark my shooting was very limited. I experimented with a few things and most failed but this shot of a palm tree was a success!

• Like Like x 1
  4. speedandstyle

I wanted to avoid the common shots but a few lean more that way.

epcot-franceclock-small.
    This is a French village or at least Epcot's version. It also shows just how overcast and dreary the weather was.

epcot-francesigns-small.
    French bistro with signs on a pillar outside. Again I had to wait a while for the people to go so I could get the shot.

epcot-gull-small.
    I took many pictures of seagulls with not a lot of success. This one stood still for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

Here are a couple of close up shots of various things.

epcot-francegargoyle1-small.
    In the French area there is a little museum and inside it is a gargoyle. I had to wait in line to take my picture of it. Some people took a shot of the thing alone and others had friends pose with it but all shot it straight on. I got up to it fitted my 14mm and placed the camera low and close. I think it came out very dramatic!

epcot-chinalights-small.
    These are some lights that were inside a restaurant in the Chinese area. I shot through an open window.

epcot-franceknocker-small.
    Door Knocker in France. The focus is off a bit. If I remember correctly it started to rain again and I thought I had it when I quickly looked at the shot on the screen.

epcot-italystatue-small.
    Statue of Neptune in the Italian area. I took several of it but I think this close-up turned out the best. The detail and color stands out, to me at least.

• Like Like x 1
  6. speedandstyle

I will post up more tomorrow. If you want you can see some more pictures from Epcot in my gallery.

7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I love your pictures! Please post more!!!

8. speedandstyle

OK here are some from the Italian area. I have to say it was my favorite overall. There are lots of details to shoot and I like the style. I would love to go to Italy but that will probably never happen, this may be as close as I ever get. Anyway enjoy.
    epcot-italycorner-small.
    Being in a wheelchair prevented many angles but one it forced was low and looking up. This is a corner of one of the elaborately decorated buildings in this area. I shot it several times before I got it to where I liked it. I just wish the sky had looked better.

epcot-italywagon-small.
    I so love how Olympus JPG renders color. I only tweaked it a tiny bit in Lightroom. I had to shoot this shot several times because people kept walking in front of me.

epcot-italyrail-small.
    I am not 100% happy with this shot as I just could not get into the correct position to take it because of being in my wheelchair. This is the edited version as the original is crooked.

epcot-italyangel-small.
    I shot the heck out of this statue from several angles and with different lenses. This is the one that I like the best.

epcot-italystatuebw-small.
    I loved this statue but I just could not find a good angle from the front, always had a busy background. Once on the backside I could see how it was free from clutter. I took the shot and was happy except for the grey, blank sky. In Lightroom I found going black and white made it look even better. I also added a little vignette to the edge.

epcot-italylion-small.
    Lion's head fence post. Got up nice and close with the 20mm. Again I had to wait for several minutes until there was nobody in the background.

epcot-italyarches-small.
    More of the decorative building.

• Like Like x 2
  9. speedandstyle

Last couple from the first batch.

epcot-chinadoor-small.
    Door from the Chinese area. I think it came out very well. I had to cut the edge next to the bush tighter than I wanted to because of a trash can. You can also see an electrical outlet and modern doorstop. I might bring this image into photoshop and remove those things.

epcot-viking-small.
    Lastly the viking statue! I am actually glad of the rain for this shot because the statue being wet makes him glossy and it almost glows because of that. Wish the lamp post wasn't there though. I might try to photoshop it out.

Well that is it for the first round. I have several hundred pics and more that I will work on. Several are composites, either panoramas or bracketed shots that need a lot of work in photoshop. When I get some of them processed I will post them up.

Please feel free to comment, even criticize if you must. Also if you have some Epcot pics feel free to add yours.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jewood1234

Jewood1234 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    Nicely done. Especially like the new and different perspectives....not the typical shots!

11. speedandstyle

Here are some more pics.

epcot2-vikinglodge-small.
    It was raining when I took this shot and the lens got a few drops on it. You can also see the rain falling. I thought that this shot would be worthless BUT after some radical editing in Lightroom I think the rain actually makes the shot.

epcot2-flowers-small.
    Bed of flowers near the entrance at Epcot. I think they are snapdragons. If you look closely you can see the flowers are very wet and there is a fly on the center yellow one.

epcot2-colonialclockBW-small.
    This is the clock tower in Colonial America. The raw shot is very blaw because of the overcast sky and the rain. I experimented in Lightroom to try and make the shot interesting.

12. speedandstyle

epcot2-teutonicknight-small.

I shot a dozen or so angles of this awesome statue but all have busy backgrounds. I also had problems because of the gray but bright sky. I liked this angle the best but it still had a fair amount of annoying background and a lot of blown out sky. I decided to isolate the statue from the background. I spent a good hour editing this picture! I used the masking brush and desaturated and brightened the background. I also enhanced the statue's colors and cleaned up the worst of the purple fringe. I also cropped it to a square.

13. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    Nice work, getting some unconventional shots at Epcot. I like the Canadian lamp post and the buildings in Italy.

14. speedandstyle

Got some more processed.

epcot2-samuri-small.
    Statue of a samurai. It was just inside the entrance to a little Japanese castle. It was pretty dark in there. I had to do some editing in Lightroom to bring this image to life. Shot with the Panasonic 20mm.

epcot2-stepsBW-small.
    Steps that went up to a restaurant in the Japanese area of Epcot. Even though the steps were already grey I converted to black and white to make them more dramatic. As you can see it was raining.

epcot2-pubdoornight-small.
    British Pub! Found in the England area of Epcot. Shot with my Olympus 45mm. The red tint is really the way it looked! I did do a little editing in Lightroom.

epcot2-lightedfountain-small.
    Cool lighted fountain and pyramid near the front of Epcot. It was boring during the day{IMHO} but at night it glows! Shot with a Panasonic 20mm.

epcot2-aztekwall-small.
    Aztek wall in the Mexico area of Epcot. I wish the statues on either side were better illuminated. I almost missed this as it was out of the way. I tried to shoot it with the 20mm first but the lines were slightly distorted so I switched to the 45mm and moved back.

• Like Like x 1
  15. speedandstyle

Got a few more to add.

Mexico-windowBW-small.
    First off is a window from the Mexican pavilion. I processed it into a black and white with a bit of grain for a vintage look. The streaks are not part of the process but rain drops!

MoroccanJar-small.
    Second is also a black and white. I was not happy with this shot at first. Now I am after cropping it and going for a vintage look.

16. speedandstyle

EpcotatDuskCrop-small.
    Epcot center at dusk. I cropped it and slightly enhanced the colors.

AngelonTower-small.
    Angel on top of a tall tower in the Italian pavilion. Lots of editing in Lightroom on this one.

ItalianArchColor-small.
    Arch in the Italian area. Tried to make it look like a vintage color pic. I also did it in black and white but I think this colored version is better.

ColorfulWindow-small.
    Very colorful window in the German area. Cropped and slight enhancement to the colors.

FishFountain-small.
    Detail of a fountain in the England pavilion. I like the blue fish on the red brick background.

• Like Like x 1
  17. speedandstyle

Lastly two different shots but processed very similarly. I am very happy with the results.

FrenchWindowBlue-small.
    Window from the French pavilion. I processed the original in full color then I did a black and white and finally did this one. I desaturated all the colors except for aqua and blue which were slightly enhanced.

ChineseBalcony-small.
    Like the other shot I desaturated all but the red which was enhanced. I also had to correct some angles which are still a bit off.

What do you think?

18. speedandstyle

Here are some pics of Coronado Springs, the resort I stayed at while at Disney World.

coronado-lionpool-small.
    This is a fountain/pool that was in one of the many courtyards there. This was shot with the Panasonic 14mm. I corrected the angles and enhanced the colors with Lightroom.

coronado-domeceiling-small.
    A very decorative ceiling in the main building at Coronado. I edited the image just a little in Lightroom but mostly this is the way it looked.

coronado-lightsinbar-small.
    These are some glass lights that were hanging in the bar at Coronado. I enhanced them a little bit in Lightroom.

19. speedandstyle

This is a sunrise shot of the main building at Coronado Springs. The first morning I was there was gorgeous! A little bit of a mist but otherwise perfect, the only day it was and even that night the rain came in a little.

CoronadoSpringsComposite-small.

Image is a composite of two bracketed shots, one over and one under exposed. I enhanced them a little bit in Lightroom and then blended them in Photoshop. A fair amount of work but I am very happy with the result.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Beautiful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.