1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Disney's Epcot Florida - image heavy!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by speedandstyle, Jan 26, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last week I went to a conference at Disney World and got to spend one afternoon/evening at Epcot. Anyway here are some of the pictures I took. I tried not to take the "touristy" shots you always see. Unfortunately the weather was horrible. It was very overcast with a drizzling rain that came and went.
    epcot-trees-small.
    Epcot from a not so common angle!

epcot-detail-small.
    Detail shot of the underside of Epcot.

epcot-cover-small.
    Disney logo on manhole cover.

epcot-kidwater2-small.
    Kid playing in fountain. His dad was taking pics with his iPhone! I don't normally shoot people I don't know but I couldn't resist. If this is your kid and don't want his picture on the web - let me know and I will remove.

epcot-duck-small.
    Duck that posed for me! I think he was expecting food but I got him instead.

• Like Like x 1
  2. speedandstyle

Here are some shots from the Morocco area of Epcot.
    epcot-moroccoarches-small.
    This arch and alley is referenced in Scott Kelby's book "The Digital Photography Book, vol1" {page 167}. He mentions how if you move one way or the other that you see a restaurant and people eating. It is true!

epcot-moroccomarket-small.
    I had to wait forever to get this shot! So many people and I hate to say it but just rude! Not just of me as a photographer but me in a wheelchair too! The sun came out a bit while I was in there as can be seen by the light through the ceiling.

epcot-moroccofountain-small.
    Tried this shot with my 20mm and it didn't come out well. Switched to my 14mm and it worked great. I corrected the angles in Lightroom to get the pillars straight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

Here are a few I took late in the afternoon/early evening. I had trouble with my power wheelchair as the battery died!:mad: Anyway there is a period of time when I couldn't shoot so I missed a few opportunities.

epcot-englandtele-small.
    Close-up of one of the phonebooths they have in England. Shot this with the 14mm. As you can see the sun is going down.

epcot-canadalamp-small.
    I did not shoot much in Canada because the sun was all but gone and it had started raining again. I did get this shot of a lamp that is next to the lake. I like it except I think the palm trees throw off the "Canadian" feel.

epcot-palmnight-small.
    Once it was dark my shooting was very limited. I experimented with a few things and most failed but this shot of a palm tree was a success!

• Like Like x 1
  4. speedandstyle

I wanted to avoid the common shots but a few lean more that way.

epcot-franceclock-small.
    This is a French village or at least Epcot's version. It also shows just how overcast and dreary the weather was.

epcot-francesigns-small.
    French bistro with signs on a pillar outside. Again I had to wait a while for the people to go so I could get the shot.

epcot-gull-small.
    I took many pictures of seagulls with not a lot of success. This one stood still for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

Here are a couple of close up shots of various things.

epcot-francegargoyle1-small.
    In the French area there is a little museum and inside it is a gargoyle. I had to wait in line to take my picture of it. Some people took a shot of the thing alone and others had friends pose with it but all shot it straight on. I got up to it fitted my 14mm and placed the camera low and close. I think it came out very dramatic!

epcot-chinalights-small.
    These are some lights that were inside a restaurant in the Chinese area. I shot through an open window.

epcot-franceknocker-small.
    Door Knocker in France. The focus is off a bit. If I remember correctly it started to rain again and I thought I had it when I quickly looked at the shot on the screen.

epcot-italystatue-small.
    Statue of Neptune in the Italian area. I took several of it but I think this close-up turned out the best. The detail and color stands out, to me at least.

• Like Like x 1
  6. speedandstyle

I will post up more tomorrow. If you want you can see some more pictures from Epcot in my gallery.

7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I love your pictures! Please post more!!!

8. speedandstyle

OK here are some from the Italian area. I have to say it was my favorite overall. There are lots of details to shoot and I like the style. I would love to go to Italy but that will probably never happen, this may be as close as I ever get. Anyway enjoy.
    epcot-italycorner-small.
    Being in a wheelchair prevented many angles but one it forced was low and looking up. This is a corner of one of the elaborately decorated buildings in this area. I shot it several times before I got it to where I liked it. I just wish the sky had looked better.

epcot-italywagon-small.
    I so love how Olympus JPG renders color. I only tweaked it a tiny bit in Lightroom. I had to shoot this shot several times because people kept walking in front of me.

epcot-italyrail-small.
    I am not 100% happy with this shot as I just could not get into the correct position to take it because of being in my wheelchair. This is the edited version as the original is crooked.

epcot-italyangel-small.
    I shot the heck out of this statue from several angles and with different lenses. This is the one that I like the best.

epcot-italystatuebw-small.
    I loved this statue but I just could not find a good angle from the front, always had a busy background. Once on the backside I could see how it was free from clutter. I took the shot and was happy except for the grey, blank sky. In Lightroom I found going black and white made it look even better. I also added a little vignette to the edge.

epcot-italylion-small.
    Lion's head fence post. Got up nice and close with the 20mm. Again I had to wait for several minutes until there was nobody in the background.

epcot-italyarches-small.
    More of the decorative building.

• Like Like x 2
  9. speedandstyle

Last couple from the first batch.

epcot-chinadoor-small.
    Door from the Chinese area. I think it came out very well. I had to cut the edge next to the bush tighter than I wanted to because of a trash can. You can also see an electrical outlet and modern doorstop. I might bring this image into photoshop and remove those things.

epcot-viking-small.
    Lastly the viking statue! I am actually glad of the rain for this shot because the statue being wet makes him glossy and it almost glows because of that. Wish the lamp post wasn't there though. I might try to photoshop it out.

Well that is it for the first round. I have several hundred pics and more that I will work on. Several are composites, either panoramas or bracketed shots that need a lot of work in photoshop. When I get some of them processed I will post them up.

Please feel free to comment, even criticize if you must. Also if you have some Epcot pics feel free to add yours.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jewood1234

Jewood1234 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    Nicely done. Especially like the new and different perspectives....not the typical shots!

11. speedandstyle

Here are some more pics.

epcot2-vikinglodge-small.
    It was raining when I took this shot and the lens got a few drops on it. You can also see the rain falling. I thought that this shot would be worthless BUT after some radical editing in Lightroom I think the rain actually makes the shot.

epcot2-flowers-small.
    Bed of flowers near the entrance at Epcot. I think they are snapdragons. If you look closely you can see the flowers are very wet and there is a fly on the center yellow one.

epcot2-colonialclockBW-small.
    This is the clock tower in Colonial America. The raw shot is very blaw because of the overcast sky and the rain. I experimented in Lightroom to try and make the shot interesting.

12. speedandstyle

epcot2-teutonicknight-small.

I shot a dozen or so angles of this awesome statue but all have busy backgrounds. I also had problems because of the gray but bright sky. I liked this angle the best but it still had a fair amount of annoying background and a lot of blown out sky. I decided to isolate the statue from the background. I spent a good hour editing this picture! I used the masking brush and desaturated and brightened the background. I also enhanced the statue's colors and cleaned up the worst of the purple fringe. I also cropped it to a square.

13. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    Nice work, getting some unconventional shots at Epcot. I like the Canadian lamp post and the buildings in Italy.

14. speedandstyle

Got some more processed.

epcot2-samuri-small.
    Statue of a samurai. It was just inside the entrance to a little Japanese castle. It was pretty dark in there. I had to do some editing in Lightroom to bring this image to life. Shot with the Panasonic 20mm.

epcot2-stepsBW-small.
    Steps that went up to a restaurant in the Japanese area of Epcot. Even though the steps were already grey I converted to black and white to make them more dramatic. As you can see it was raining.

epcot2-pubdoornight-small.
    British Pub! Found in the England area of Epcot. Shot with my Olympus 45mm. The red tint is really the way it looked! I did do a little editing in Lightroom.

epcot2-lightedfountain-small.
    Cool lighted fountain and pyramid near the front of Epcot. It was boring during the day{IMHO} but at night it glows! Shot with a Panasonic 20mm.

epcot2-aztekwall-small.
    Aztek wall in the Mexico area of Epcot. I wish the statues on either side were better illuminated. I almost missed this as it was out of the way. I tried to shoot it with the 20mm first but the lines were slightly distorted so I switched to the 45mm and moved back.

• Like Like x 1
  15. speedandstyle

Got a few more to add.

Mexico-windowBW-small.
    First off is a window from the Mexican pavilion. I processed it into a black and white with a bit of grain for a vintage look. The streaks are not part of the process but rain drops!

MoroccanJar-small.
    Second is also a black and white. I was not happy with this shot at first. Now I am after cropping it and going for a vintage look.

16. speedandstyle

EpcotatDuskCrop-small.
    Epcot center at dusk. I cropped it and slightly enhanced the colors.

AngelonTower-small.
    Angel on top of a tall tower in the Italian pavilion. Lots of editing in Lightroom on this one.

ItalianArchColor-small.
    Arch in the Italian area. Tried to make it look like a vintage color pic. I also did it in black and white but I think this colored version is better.

ColorfulWindow-small.
    Very colorful window in the German area. Cropped and slight enhancement to the colors.

FishFountain-small.
    Detail of a fountain in the England pavilion. I like the blue fish on the red brick background.

• Like Like x 1
  17. speedandstyle

Lastly two different shots but processed very similarly. I am very happy with the results.

FrenchWindowBlue-small.
    Window from the French pavilion. I processed the original in full color then I did a black and white and finally did this one. I desaturated all the colors except for aqua and blue which were slightly enhanced.

ChineseBalcony-small.
    Like the other shot I desaturated all but the red which was enhanced. I also had to correct some angles which are still a bit off.

What do you think?

18. speedandstyle

Here are some pics of Coronado Springs, the resort I stayed at while at Disney World.

coronado-lionpool-small.
    This is a fountain/pool that was in one of the many courtyards there. This was shot with the Panasonic 14mm. I corrected the angles and enhanced the colors with Lightroom.

coronado-domeceiling-small.
    A very decorative ceiling in the main building at Coronado. I edited the image just a little in Lightroom but mostly this is the way it looked.

coronado-lightsinbar-small.
    These are some glass lights that were hanging in the bar at Coronado. I enhanced them a little bit in Lightroom.

19. speedandstyle

This is a sunrise shot of the main building at Coronado Springs. The first morning I was there was gorgeous! A little bit of a mist but otherwise perfect, the only day it was and even that night the rain came in a little.

CoronadoSpringsComposite-small.

Image is a composite of two bracketed shots, one over and one under exposed. I enhanced them a little bit in Lightroom and then blended them in Photoshop. A fair amount of work but I am very happy with the result.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Beautiful!