1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Discuss two-camera-body live event work

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 0dBm, Jul 8, 2012.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Until I went :43: last year with the GH2, my two-body, live event arsenal was the Nikon D700 w/MD-10 grip, 28-70 f/2.8 "Beast," SB-900 flash w/bounce reflector and SD-9 external battery pack for the up-close and personal shots; and D300 w/MD-10 grip, 80-200 f/2.8, SB800 flash w/snoot and SD-8A external battery pack for long reach. My back finally screamed OUCH! and I had to improvise, adapt, and overcome.

I had to curtail event work and returned to more static studio work as I repaired the ole' bod.:frown:

I returned to a daily weightlifting regimen along with physical therapy, chiropractic treatment, Pliates, 2-3 times a week cycling 15-20 miles.

In my late 50s, I'm stronger than most of the men 20-25 years younger than me that I work with in my "day job." I'm not so much bragging as I am utterly and completely surprised that I was able to get back in this kind of shape. I find myself contemplating doing "young-folk stuff;" however my sensibilities thankfully return me to reality.

I have returned to event work; however, sans the the heavy Nikon "gear." I miss the spontaneity and the "action" of this type of work.

The Panasonic GH2 and GX1 have proven to me to be adequate for paid work. The Oly 45mm and 12mm have equally been surprisingly competent. The CV 25 has been a real joy for video. I highly suspect that the CV 17.5mm will be equally satisfying to use.

The two bodies are so lightweight that the heavy CV lenses add a comforting heft.

I transitioned to a smaller, lighter-weight shoulder bag, a smaller, lighter flash bracket, and a smaller flash. The large aperture lenses that I have chosen allow for lower flash light levels and fast cycle time without the need to bump-up the ISO. Instead of a camera body grip, I just carry spare batteries. I have also found a camera support that I will use with an orthopedic back brace.

"I'm back!" "Get to da choppah!:biggrin:"

I'm having fun again and with the use of primes. I may consider the 12-35 and 35-100 f/2.8 zooms; however, this category of lenses are creeping up in size and weight.

Live event pros, please share your thoughts.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Congratulations here!
    Military life keeps me in the gym 2-3x a week (and I'm 49) so it definitely benefits in the long run especially when (as you stated) you're better shape than the young lads! :biggrin: