Discuss - Sigma 56mm f1.4 DC DN

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
Normal flare is not really a problem.
The rainbow flare is an unusual behaviour, they might not have picked it up under typical testing conditions.
I can create the rainbow flare every time using a down light at home or the sun, but with the lens hood it NEVER occurs. If the lens was tested with the hood, they would not have ever seen it. It is the first lens out of dozens I have owned that really depends so much on use of the hood if a pinpoint bright light source is almost in frame. I dont mind a bit of extra flare the average lens might have without a hood, but the rainbow you can get with this lens is quite dramatic. Having said all that, I cannot recommend this lens highly enough... it is the pick of the Sigma 1.4 trio.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
They anticipated the turn in the market well and shifted to ultra high performance instead of volume via consumer grade lenses.
Not exactly what I meant. There were only few of their higher end lenses I would consider even 3-5 years ago. Too many just weren't very good and too much sample variation even with the better ones.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not exactly what I meant. There were only few of their higher end lenses I would consider even 3-5 years ago. Too many just weren't very good and too much sample variation even with the better ones.
Afaik, they didn't make truly high end glass until they debuted their art series several years ago. They may have made fast glass, but they were always budget conscious alternatives. Are you saying you the original art series lenses had questionable qc?

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Afaik, they didn't make truly high end glass until they debuted their art series several years ago. They may have made fast glass, but they were always budget conscious alternatives. Are you saying you the original art series lenses had questionable qc?
There have been compatibility issues for one thing. We may see less of it here with the more open standard.

But budget conscious and the need for 6 versions of something like the 70-200 f/2.8 in about 16-17 years aren't the same thing. That's a shorter period than Nikon and Canon have had 3? Canon releases both IS and non IS version, but I'm pretty sure it's 3 only IS versions. What bothered me more though was actually that there have been several standout mixed in, so you really wanted the rest to be the same. The 150mm macro, 120-300 f/2.8, and 100-300 f/4 to name a few.

But as I said, they have some a long way.

Well actually Olympus 75mm F1.8 were rumoured being made by Sigma that's why Olympus 75mm F1.8 has different character than any other Olympus premium lenses.

Did Sigma design the Olympus M.Zuiko 75mm F1.8?

It is not a rumor. Sigma filed a patent application for a 75mm f1.8 with the exact same optical formula as the Olympus 75mm lens. Sigmal also has the patent for the Olympus 25mm f1.2 PRO:
Patent : Sigma 75mm f/1.8 for Micro Four Thirds Cameras
Sigma patent shows Micro Four Thirds 25mm f/1.2 lens; could we see it some day from Olympus?

Sigma also designed the Olympus 8mm f1.8:
Did Sigma design Oly 8mm Fisheye PRO lens (Sigma Patent): Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited:

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
hrm, this is making me want this lens. I love my 75, but it's such a hard FL for me to use. It'll probably be a loss swapping, hah. On top of that, it seems like it might actually work to replace my 45/1.8 as I'd like something a little longer (~50). Except for the fact the 45 is just sooo compact.

Real Name
John
hrm, this is making me want this lens. I love my 75, but it's such a hard FL for me to use. It'll probably be a loss swapping, hah. On top of that, it seems like it might actually work to replace my 45/1.8 as I'd like something a little longer (~50). Except for the fact the 45 is just sooo compact.
When I had a full frame Canon system I shot with 150mm, 135mm, 100mm, and 85mm lenses but I always found the 135mm and 150mm too long, this lens fits the bill just right. Size is a funny thing, compared to any of those lenses this is absolutely tiny, compared to the 45/1.8 it is absolutely huge.

Anyhow here is the obligitory cat picture.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Making this a cat 56 thread

NIlaga

Mu-43 Regular
Was thinking of buying an Oly 45 again or a Panasonic 42.5 but this thread just made me order a Sigma 56. The GAS is real strong for this one.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I went to a basketball game today, my seat was about 6 meters (20 feet) away from the sideline. That is a little closer than where I would usually sit.

View attachment 711544

Focusing speed was okay. From my experience, a little worse than the Olympus 75mm, but not too off. I like to do 4~5 sequential shots of a scene and the 75mm would sometimes give me completely out of focus shots, but the 56mm would usually go completely out of focus on the first shot. Very sharp focus shot percentage felt similar; 1 or 2 from a sequence of shots.

Would I sell both the 42.5mm and 75mm? Yes.

The 56mm definitely cannot replace both the 42.5mm and 75mm. The focal range spectrum is too wide for a single prime lense to cover. But both of these lenses are not my main focal length. I just need something for longer portrait, and something for occasional visit to the stadium, and that's it. The 56mm fov is a bit tight for my taste of portrait, but I used to take and like portraits with 60mm f2.8, so I'm positive that 56mm will grow on me.
Thanks for this post. I'm also considering the 56 for shooting basketball. I'm happy with the 42.5/1.7 from a focus speed and accuracy standpoint, but I could use a little more length. 75 is too much.

Have you had any more opportunities to shoot basketball? How does focus speed and accuracy compare to the 42.5?

Thanks again!

NIlaga

Mu-43 Regular
If you can afford it, it's worth it. But it does depend on what you plan on using it for. In general I prefer the 56mm focal length over 42.5mm/45mm.
Lens should be available for pickup in store on March 11th. I'm planning on using it on an upcoming graduation, and during evenings while on trips in conjunction with the 12-40.

Thanks for your input. I had the Oly 45 before and this 56 shouldn't be that unfamiliar.

2donggalbi

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for this post. I'm also considering the 56 for shooting basketball. I'm happy with the 42.5/1.7 from a focus speed and accuracy standpoint, but I could use a little more length. 75 is too much.

Have you had any more opportunities to shoot basketball? How does focus speed and accuracy compare to the 42.5?

Thanks again!
Thank you for the warm comment. I don't recall shooting sports with the 42.5/1.7. Sorry that I can't give you a useful response.

As for the AF of 56/1.4 with sports when attached to E-M1.1, its a hit and miss. It works, but lacks confidence.

Enoch

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Enoch Haven
I just got to say, this lens focuses quite well on my EM-1. I have not shot fast moving subjects, but in normal use it seems dead on. I know others have had problems with focusing on Sigma lenses but no complaints from me.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I'm not sure that C-AF on any m4/3 body is good enough get away with f/1.4... stop down a little and you'll be okay

tkbslc

Super Moderator
So is the 45mm f1.2 PRO/Leica 42mm f1.2 worth it when this lens exists? BG blur is pretty much identical and the Sigma looks sharp wide open. They seem close enough in focal length. Sigma might even be better FL to pair with my 25mm f1.4. 42.5 always seemed a little close. I can get a new Sigma for half the cost of one of the used f1.2's.

How much blur? - A visual background blur calculator

Mainly I'm looking for a lens to use for portraits where I want close to a "FF look" for the subject isolation with half and full body shots. I like what I'm seeing in the sample threads for the Sigma.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom