1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Discuss - Sigma 56mm f1.4 DC DN

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WT21, Sep 18, 2018.

1. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Ooo.. A fast lens with a funky FL for mft. I will always be interested in that.

A Sigma trio of 16, 30 and 56 would make for a nice setup. I just wish the 16 was reconfigured for mft to be a little smaller.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I'm just happy it isn't another 42-45mm lens!

112mm equivalent is a bit odd on m4/3, and Sony (and Fuji) already has some pretty excellent options at 50-55mm. So you may end up with not as much demand in either system. If Sigma wanted to jump into a niche, I think 67mm would have perfect here. That's 100mm on APS-C and 135mm on m4/3. Both classic lengths and on two systems with one lens design.

That said, I think I will be very interested in this lens depending on the size. I find 75mm f1.8 to be too long too often. And 42-45mm can feel a bit too close and redundant to my 25mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You're saying that an APS-C 56mm f/1.4 lens will be physically smaller than a m43 43mm f/1.7 lens?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

Mar 21, 2014
    No, the opposite.

This is my biggest issue with these Sigma APS-C f1.4 lenses. They are just physically really, really big compared to M4/3 options. Which is obvious, because not only do they cover a slightly bigger image circle, but Sigma is all about low priced, highly corrected lenses, which means they're always going to be really big within that set of design constraints.

In any case, by looking at the proportions of the lens mount, the new Sigma 56mm/1.4 looks about the same size as the 30mm/1.4, so even if without the hood is it a very significant physical size increase compared to the 40-45mm M4/3 lenses in the same budget category.

Compact Camera Meter

Probably it is about the exact same size as the 42.5/1.2 Nocticron, and just a tiny bit smaller than the Oly 45/1.2 PRO. I'm sure it will look like good value compared to those lenses, but will feel quite similar to handle, assuming you can manage the change in FOV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The 60mm 2.8 from sigma is very nice. This is brighter

7. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Exciting! I think that's going to be another stellar lens by Sigma.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    So, this lens mounted on my GX80 will be equivalent to 112mm at what aperture? Price, OIS? Instead of an Olympus 75mm perhaps?

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It’s an f/1.4 in terms of exposure, 2.8 in terms of 35mm DoF. Your camera already has IBIS so not real certain why OIS matters. Price will more than likely be less than $500 based on the other Sigma f/1.4 lenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    So this is a fast 112mm lens on m43.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes.

And if it is the quality of the 30 and reported the 16, it will be a great option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jayweh32

jayweh32 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2014
    This lens, if performance is great, is about perfect for me anyways. I can get rid of my 42.5 Panasonic Sigma 60mm and my lust for the 75mm or Noct with this one lens, further minimizing my kit and picking up speed along the way.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

14. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    So you can give one to me, right? RIGHT!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  16. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    This could replace my O45/1.8 AND S60/2.8, all in one lens. I bet it won't be as cheap as the S60/2.8, but that might not matter if I sold 2 lenses.

Who am I kidding - I've never, ever, sold any gear. :-(

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

Mar 21, 2014
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

The perspective is way too different in the photos for me to make any confident assumptions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.