Discovered that my EM-5 sensor has cracked

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Web-Betty, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    While visiting Chicago a few weeks ago, I noticed a line going from the left side, down to the bottom, on the beach pictures I took. My assumption was that there was something on my lens. So I stopped, cleaned the lens, and resumed shooting. I took a test shot to see if I'd fixed it, but the line was still there.

I quickly went back through the shots I had taken that day, and the day before with a different lens, and sure enough, the line is visible in every shot. (It's more apparent in lighter shots.) So I took the lens off and there it was, a crack from the side of the sensor to the bottom. :(

My favorite local camera shop took a look and said that I could send it in to Olympus but it would probably cost $300-$400 to fix it. To say I'm very sad is an understatement. I love my EM-5 and I feel like I was just really getting to know it, lol.

I'm curious if anyone here has experienced this, heard of this, or knows how this could happen? It hasn't been dropped or overly manhandled, but I have been traveling quite a bit between very humid locations and very dry. (Someone has suggested this can cause problems.) I'm curious if it's worth sending in to Olympus to have fixed, or if there's some weird, known issue that Oly would fix it for free. :)

Regardless, I've been looking at upgrading to the EM-1 and just made an eBay offer for $600 on a silver body with 540 actuations. Fingers crossed the seller accepts my offer--his asking price was $699 which is the lowest I've seen in 2 weeks.
  2. welder

welder New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2015
    Sorry to hear about the line in your pictures. I can only empathize with you that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realize something dire is wrong to your camera.

If you are open to a used e-M5, you can get one for $300-350. I bought my e-M5 (body only) about a month ago for $260 with 7700 shutter clicks.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Sorry to hear that. (Amin: we need a sympathy reply option.:oops:) The silver lining will be the E-M1 if you get it.
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It wouldn't hurt to contact Olympus and hope for the best.

If its just cracked at the dust reduction glass or the underlying filter stack, maybe you can convert it to a full-spectrum camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    FYI, If you can see the crack, then it is in the protective glass over the filter stack and not the filter itself.

Changes in humidity have no effect. Changes in temperature, particularly rapid ones, can have an effect. In addition to a change in temperature, the sensor assembly would have needed to have a flawed piece of glass, or it was mounted in a way that created internal stress. In any event, it's probably a very rare failure.

It might be worth checking with the Olympus repair facility to find how much it would cost to get the sensor replaced.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    It's not the sensor. If that cracked, the electronics would be dead. It's the glass layers above the sensor.

Here in the USA we can get an EM5 fixed for the flat rate of $165 plus shipping to Connecticut. I had mine repaired in the early part of summer. I recall it was about 10 business days away from home. Go to and click on support.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Whatever is cracked, Olympus's one price repair for most repairs will make it a cost effective repair.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Thank you for the information. That's certainly a good price for repair. :)
  9. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Would you be willing to sell the cracked camera?
  10. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Olympus has flat rate repairs, EM1 repairs cost about $180, I assume EM5 will be similar, if not less.