Discovered Major Firmware Bug on GX7

khollister

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith
Just discovered something pretty surprising on my GX7 - actually 2 things that are interrelated

1. There is no menu item for WB - the only way to change WB is via the WB button, Q-menu or a remapped Fn button
  2. If WB is remapped from the WB cursor key to a Fn button because you enabled Direct Focus Area (using the cursor keys to move AF area), the WB screen displayed only allows you to select a WB - there is no way to get into the adjustment menus. This means, among other things, that you have no way to set a custom WB.

This has to be a major oversight/screwup on Panasonic's part. If anyone figures out what I might be overlooking, please let me know.

pytha

New to Mu-43
On other Lumixes you also find no WB in menu. Is WB-button, Q-menu not enough?
Do you need a 3rd, 4th, 5th ... option?

khollister

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith
On other Lumixes you also find no WB in menu. Is WB-button, Q-menu not enough?
Do you need a 3rd, 4th, 5th ... option?

The problem is the Q menu doesn't let you get into the WB adjustment screens either - you can select a custom WB, but you can't set one. If you move the WB function from the default labeled key because you want the cursor keys to directly move the AF point, you then have no way to get there.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
All these cameras have minds of their own. Your duty is to obey the will of the camera and to find a way to simultaneously do what you want to do.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On my G3, it's a little cryptic how you set the custom WB.

You set the custom white balance from the white balance screen. Go to the custom field, and hit up arrow to set.

That said, I have never understood the direct AF selection, especially since the advent of the touch screen models.

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
why disabling the WB dedicated button in the first place is beyong me. You don't like having that button on hand? IMHO WB is like the most important button appart from ISO, and no having a direct button WOUL have been the failure you talk about, not the inverse.

snkenai

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I never change WB in camera. I just tweak as necessary in PP. Lazy man's way of dealing with lack of skill in understanding, the camera control options! :redface:

Joe Billingham

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
jore
I never change WB in camera. I just tweak as necessary in PP. Lazy man's way of dealing with lack of skill in understanding, the camera control options! :redface:

That's what I do too. But not everybody shoots RAW and JPEG WB adjustments in PP beyond a minor tweak can really beat up the image.

Joe Billingham

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
jore
Just discovered something pretty surprising on my GX7 - actually 2 things that are interrelated

1. There is no menu item for WB - the only way to change WB is via the WB button, Q-menu or a remapped Fn button
  2. If WB is remapped from the WB cursor key to a Fn button because you enabled Direct Focus Area (using the cursor keys to move AF area), the WB screen displayed only allows you to select a WB - there is no way to get into the adjustment menus. This means, among other things, that you have no way to set a custom WB.

This has to be a major oversight/screwup on Panasonic's part. If anyone figures out what I might be overlooking, please let me know.

Pretty sure that's a feature and not a bug! :biggrin:

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
WB settings

This is rather disturbing IMHO.

Weirdly enough in the Pen series of Olympuses - which are often much maligned for supposedly having overly complicated menus and submenus where it's impossible to find, set, or change parameters - WB settings are easily accessible, both through the main Menu and also through the semi super menu (can't remember what it's called) that gives easy access to dozens of parameters, functions, and ways to change them.

It would be nice if someone from Panasonic is/was checking these Forums - and passed this on to the creative and production gurus - for a firmware update.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is really NOT a problem. Even IF what the OP says is true on the GX7, it would only affect you if you were using the keypad to select the AF area instead of the touch screen AND while in that mode needed a custom WB. Between the various settings, and being able to store custom presets (I have one for sodium lighting for example), I just can't see it coming up often, if ever, for the VAST majority of photographers.

Joe Billingham

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
jore
This is rather disturbing IMHO.

Weirdly enough in the Pen series of Olympuses - which are often much maligned for supposedly having overly complicated menus and submenus where it's impossible to find, set, or change parameters - WB settings are easily accessible, both through the main Menu and also through the semi super menu (can't remember what it's called) that gives easy access to dozens of parameters, functions, and ways to change them.

It would be nice if someone from Panasonic is/was checking these Forums - and passed this on to the creative and production gurus - for a firmware update.

Sony, Olympus and Panasonic have the worse menu systems in the industry. However, I'm afraid Panasonic, not Olympus, wins the bad of the bad award. At least Oly keeps most of the options on a single screen. I have one menu on my GX1 that requiring scrolling through 7 (!) screens of often unrelated features and options before it recycles back to the beginning. Plus the font is pixelated and butt ugly...

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
The GX1 works the same way. Set the key pad for direct AF control and you can't set a custom WB. Pick it yes, set it no. As much as I like the form factor of the GX7, this is one of several reasons I'll pass on it.

khollister

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith
The GX1 works the same way. Set the key pad for direct AF control and you can't set a custom WB. Pick it yes, set it no. As much as I like the form factor of the GX7, this is one of several reasons I'll pass on it.

Interesting - I would not have assumed this was a design choice. It's not a show stopper for me, but it is a really odd choice since the screen could easily have been just like what you get with the default key. Strange.

beanedsprout

Mu-43 Veteran
GH3 doesn't have an AF mode function anywhere if you remap the AF mode button. Took me 3 days to figure out how the hell I was supposed to change to AF tracking. Was really freaking out that I may have broken something.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
GH3 doesn't have an AF mode function anywhere if you remap the AF mode button. Took me 3 days to figure out how the hell I was supposed to change to AF tracking. Was really freaking out that I may have broken something.

I just checked to make sure; on the GH3 AF tracking is in the quick menu, or can be assigned to one of the Fn buttons.

For whatever it's worth, the same behavior with custom WB exists on the GH3 if you select the custom WB through the Q menu. However in fairness, the GH3 does have a dedicated WB button so it's going to be available regardless.

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sony, Olympus and Panasonic have the worse menu systems in the industry. However, I'm afraid Panasonic, not Olympus, wins the bad of the bad award. At least Oly keeps most of the options on a single screen. I have one menu on my GX1 that requiring scrolling through 7 (!) screens of often unrelated features and options before it recycles back to the beginning. Plus the font is pixelated and butt ugly...

Panny's famous for having amongst the best, if not the best, menu and UI in the business.

Perhaps the GX1 is an exception, but the GH2 and GH3 are supremely easy to navigate.

greenarcher02

Mu-43 Veteran
Panny's famous for having amongst the best, if not the best, menu and UI in the business.

Perhaps the GX1 is an exception, but the GH2 and GH3 are supremely easy to navigate.

I found the GX1 easier to navigate. I dislike Sony's and Olympus' UI...

As for the OP, this is also the case with the GX1. But... why can't you just use the touch screen? I guess they didn't think someone would not use the touchscreen and actually remove the WB function on the WB button.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
I found the GX1 easier to navigate. I dislike Sony's and Olympus' UI...

As for the OP, this is also the case with the GX1. But... why can't you just use the touch screen? I guess they didn't think someone would not use the touchscreen and actually remove the WB function on the WB button.

How would you use the touch screen to change the WB? Once you move the WB function off the button, you literally can't select a custom white balance any longer. It doesn't matter if you use the touch screen or not, the actual adjust menu disappears.

If you're talking about using the touch screen for focus instead of the directional pad, then I can answer that. You can't use the touch screen while the camera is up to your eye. The GX7's biggest improvement over the GX1 IMO is the addition of an EVF :thumbup: Conversely, you can easily use your thumb with the directional keys to move the focus point while looking through the viewfinder. I use the GH3 the same way. Fortunately because the GH3 has physical controls for everything, it does away with re-using the directional pad as function buttons like the GX1 and GX7 do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom