Discontinued or not, my GX7 is versatile

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jonbrisbincreative, Aug 26, 2014.

1. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    There may be better cameras out there that do this or that better than the GX7 (and there's several things about it that annoy me) but I have to give it props for being a real performer. I was shooting a JV football game last night (this one was for fun but the varsity game on Friday was for profit) and I had my 7D + 200/2.8 L prime dangling around my neck (and making my back hurt by the end of the night) and the GX7 in my ThinkTank.

It's not a sports shooter necessarily because the frame rate on it is not quite fast enough to capture the entire development of a play. But if used judiciously it can give what I would call satisfactory results:

lamar_vs_mt_vernon_wide.

At this wide of a FOV the autofocus didn't have to work too hard. Even at f1.4 there's plenty of DOF at this distance so that's not really an issue. I think I might pick up the Oly 75/1.8 and see how it performs to give me shorter reach than the 200/2.8 (which is a 320mm on 7D) rather than having to use my zoom lens which is quite a bit heavier than the primes.

The noise was well-controlled I thought, even at ISO 2000. It gets noisier quicker as you go above that but with a fast prime it's usually not needed. I shot this at 1/800s but I could have gone as slow as 1/500 to get even more DOF and less noise/lower ISO.

• Like Like x 4
  2. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am with you on this… I love my GX7! great for what i need it for… Street!

• Like Like x 2
  3. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    I made a difficult decision to keep an E-M5 over the GX7 last December thinking that maybe I would one day pick up a GX7 again sometime. I have tried to fall in love with my E-M5 since then, but can't quite put my finger on what it is that keeps me from doing so. I've gotten some amazing (for me) shots from it and captured some great memories, but the gel between us just isn't there.

On the other hand, I've found myself using my G5 more than my E-M5 lately. I've also been missing the brief affair I had with the GX7. With this recent rebate deal, I'm happy to say that I've got a new GX7 coming back my way!

• Like Like x 2