1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Disaster on a sunny day:)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rdo, Oct 22, 2012.

1. rdo

rdo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012
    Hi all,

Here are some shots i made this weekend.
    It was an excellent trip:) The weather was excellent - warm and very sunny and i happily made a lot of photos. But then, when i came home - it was a disaster. Most of the photos are very bad:( I don't like how they feel and they don't look the same as i remember. Yes, they are yellow, but not sunny. And what is that darkness coming from everywhere... I think i messed it with the camera settings...

I need help someone to teach me what did i wrong, and how can i avoid this in the future:)

My camera is GF3 with Oly 14-42 lens. All shots i made in Program with some settings i found in internet - WB - Sunny, Contrast +2, Saturation +2, I. Resolution - standard, D. Range - standard.

I'm shooting in jpg + raw, so luckily i can do some light post processing (i don't have any of adobe programs), but in the future i really want to have good jpgs from the camera:)

Here is one of the worst photos i made:)

Attached Files:

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    The problem with shooting in full sun is that the camera tries to compensate for the bright bits .... it tries to pull the entire scene average down to 18% gray. This will make all of the shadow areas quite dark. The fact that you used increased contrast probably exacerbated the issue.

Using your RAW file, you should try increasing the overall exposure of the photos and see if that improves things. The whites will be blown out, but it might look better.

In the future, try using spot metering and your AF/AE lock on each shot to pick exactly what exposure you want. If your pictures will have people's faces in them, use the focusing mode that picks faces. I have found that if the camera can find a face, it will expose properly for the face, even in tricky lighting situations.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I would personally never increase the contrast in harsh lighting. Saturation I also leave at default and adjust in post processing. The WB depends on how good the auto WB is.

If you want to use out of camera jpgs, I would start by seeing what comes out of the camera when set to default/neutral. Settings someone else uses are what someone else likes.

4. rdo

rdo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012
    Thank you both so much:) It looks like the main problem is from the contrast. I'll try to play with it to see what happens.

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yes, increasing contrast and saturation in that sort of light certainly doesn't help. That sort of light is really too harsh if you have one person in the shade and another in full sun within the same scene. However, something can still be salvaged in processing, do you mind if I post an edited version of your picture?

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    In my opinion that seems to be spot-on exposure for post processing. Although I agree I wouldn't use that picture straight out of the camera.

7. rdo

rdo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012
    Of course, i don't mind:) It will be of big help to me, if you say what changes did you made.

8. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    OK. Edited in Photoshop Elements, contrast reduced by 20%, shadows lightened by 35%, highlights darkened by 10%. This is a bit brutal and at higher ISO would produce an awful lot of noise in the lifted shadows, but I think we got away with it. Reducing the contrast doesn't quite make up for it being too high in the first place, but it does help. It's not perfect, but I think it is an improvement.

1P1020685_edited.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    There you have it.
    Where did you read a hint that suggested Contrast+2?
    Risky.

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Another way is to play with the white and black sliders in LR4.
    Move the black to the left and the white to the right until the histogram is spread from the left to the right. I have learned this method in a LR4 video tutorial. It really saved me a lot of flat pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    What was the focus of your picture? I suggest that there are compositional issues as well.

FWIW - if you just focused on the young girl, etc., that would have been a better shot.

12. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Well yes, but that wasn't the question! :biggrin:

13. rdo

rdo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012
    Here is what i achieved (Oly viewer2, Contrast '-15', Color Balance - Blue '-15', Auto tone correction - 'Auto').

I can't say which one is better. I hate the PP - the results are so subjective and illusive. I'm still not happy with the results, but it is probably because the photo is not good.

Anyway, I learned my lesson about the sunny days and the contrast settings:)

Attached Files: