Disassembly/Reassembly of EP-2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dwrz, Mar 29, 2011.

1. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    The paint from my EP-2 is pretty badly worn off, and I'd like to spray paint it. How difficult would it be to disassemble and then reassemble the shell? Has anyone tried this?

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    • Like Like x 1
  3. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    It's pretty easy to get apart.
    You will need a 00 or 000 Phillips screwdriver

Take the lens off and put the body cap on.
    The base-plate comes off first (be sure to catch everything as the battery door falls apart)
    The grip side faceplate comes off next, this is also straightforward.
    This is as far apart as I took my E-P1 (pretty much the same), but I guess the lens side faceplate would be easy enough as well. I don't know of anyone who has taken off the top-plate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I've got no idea, some things are tough to take apart and put back together, but if you're going through all the trouble, you might as well paint it blue or something unique :cool:

5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    A cautionary tale.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7_64sDhrK0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 3
  6. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    I don't know if I'd feel comfortable prying anything off. :\ Is it possible to take off the back plate or does the LCD/buttons get in the way?

7. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    I think taking the top and back off would involve disconnecting electronics.

The base and front are just cosmetic, you've got to be careful, but don't really have to "pry" ffiw, I found nothing to be glued.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    Thanks. It might be a start. Maybe I'll be able to pull the rest off with proper use of masking tape.

9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Maybe slight variations in manufacturing techniques. Mine's a very early e-p1 model.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  10. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    I sure do love DigitalRev.

I've taken apart many things in my days and cameras have always posed the biggest challenge.

• Like Like x 2
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I can't help but think you'd be better off masking off the delicate parts..ie moving pieces, ports, mics, buttons etc and then painting the outside..

• Like Like x 1
  12. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    Side panels should be alright, I think. But the more I think about it, the more I don't want to mess with taking apart electronics with buttons...

13. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    how about the aki-asahi leather stampings?

• Like Like x 1
  14. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    [​IMG]

I gave it a shot. It's pretty easy to paint the front and bottom. This was only the first phase of the paint. I went forward, but honestly, it didn't inspire much durability. I now have a brushed metal body (mostly, still need to do the sides of the top and some of the back), and it looks pretty good. Definitely better than the half-chipped paint. The brushed metal also feels smooth in the hand.

15. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    That's the most idiotic thing I've ever seen. Still amusing though.