DISAPPOINTING! New Olympus zoom is slow! f3.5-6.3!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jambaj0e, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) The new lens specs: 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 and macro!

Wow, this is certainly very disappointing if the rumored specs are correct. Not only is it 12-50mm as opposed to the 12-60mm, it's also f3.5-6.3 instead of the f2.8-4.0 or f2.8-3.5.

Why the hell do we need another slow zoom lens for the micro 4/3 system?!? Thank goodness I bought the Olympus 4/3 Zuiko 14-54mm f2.8-f3.5 mkII lens on Thanksgiving. I would have lost out on shooting with for the last several weeks if I had waited around for this new lens.

If this is in fact true, this is just as bad as when Nikon announced that its mirrorless camera will have a smaller sensor than the micro 43 sensor.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It sounds like they designed the lens around the general point and shoot user.

The range is not bad 12-50mm{24-100mm FF} and macro is a nice touch but 3.5 is slow and worse is the 6.3 at the upper end. I know I won't be getting one.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe Olympus is only focusing on fast primes?

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I just don't know what else to say.

5. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    It's good if this lens will replace Oly kit lens 14-42 II 3.5-5.6 :D

6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    The only good thing about this lens is that now I don't have to think whether to buy the Oly 45mm f/1.8 or wait for the "fast zoom"... :p

It would have been nice if this lens could have "replaced" the 12mm and 45mm primes but obviously that's NOT gonna happen so I guess I'll just have to get the money to buy those two Oly lenses (someday).

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've said on every thread I've seen regarding this "rumor" that people were making way too many assumptions. Nowhere but on camera forums do I see people so confusing desire (what I WANT) with reality (what will actually get built). There was nothing in the actual report from the "source" that said this would be a fast lens. Nothing at all. But almost everyone jumped on the bandwagon and assumed Oly would build what they wanted.

Time to grow up, wake up, and smell the coffee, and stop getting so excited about unsubstantiated rumors. The disappointment will be much less severe that way.

As for the lens itself, the only possible market I see is as a higher-end kit lens for people coming from P&S cameras who understand nothing about aperture. They'll be happy with the zoom range, but never understand why their "telephoto" shots are always so grainy, because they don't understand ISO, either. Let's face it, Pens are aimed primarily at style-conscious buyers upgrading from P&S cameras. (Yes, I know there are serious photographers using them, but I don't think that's the primary market.) For that target market, size is far more important than speed.

I suppose this will be smaller, but I'd choose the 14-140 over this lens any day of the week.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's all just good fun. Rumors are a hoot to track, and see if you get what you hoped for. That's all. This whole site (and camera forums in general, and maybe internet forums in general) are entertainment. Not life and death.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree. I would never make a purchasing decision off of a rumor. The only thing I find interesting about rumors (even this one, as close as it is) is to discuss and speculate on new design possibilities... not to actually expect anything made out of it.

Supposing this latest rumor is true, what is there to be disappointed about? If it's a macro lens, it doesn't need a fast aperture. If it's a macro with super-fast AF, that's a very unique concept. The puzzling part is... why a macro zoom? Well, Vivitar made them in the past, and the Zuiko 70-300mm made an excellent tele-macro at 300mm. The problem is that essentially only the long end would actually take advantage of the macro capabilities, and that would make it a similar view to the Leica 45mm Macro-Elmarit, assuming that this new lens would be 1:1.
    The zoom would differentiate this lens from the Macro-Elmarit. Right now, people are making the choice at 45mm between a portrait lens with a stop and a third faster aperture and faster focus (manual or AF), or else a more expensive macro lens. If this rumored lens is true, then it would replace the kit zoom as an upgrade for those who want a little broader range (including a 12mm wide angle) and Macro capabilities, in a lens which still has super-fast AF (which believe it or not is a very important aspect of a kit lens, as it is what most consumers will be testing when they pick up the camera in a store). Who knows, maybe one day this will end up as a kit lens... :D The biggest question to define its marketability right now would be... what's the price?

In fact... when you hear what consumers just buying into the system are asking for... wow, this answers a lot! It would make the perfect kit lens to include with a higher-end PEN body, or to be made available as an inexpensive upgrade. Most first-time system camera buyers I talk to (DSLR or mirrorless) want a little more wide angle (they don't know how much wide angle they want - just that they want the most out of all the brand offerings), and they want to be able to take close-ups of flowers and stuff. They think they can get this all out-of-the-box because their P&S with no specialized lenses can. Unfortunately, they can't.

What I'm saying, to sum this all up is... a lens like this could make perfect sense and could have a definite placing in the lens lineup, whether it's something I would buy or not. The only disappointing thing are people's unfounded expectations for something totally different.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Power zoom w/o OIS seems shortsighted. I think Panny zooms are more suited for video: stepless aperture, OIS and power zoom

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not me, because I'm accustomed to turning my zoom ring along with my manual focus ring for smooth transitions. I don't want power zoom for stills or video. ;)

12. Pake (accidentally?) makes a very good point. It would make very bad sense from a marketing viewpoint to introduce a single lens that could replace the 12/2 & 45/1.8 for some, at least in the same year!
    But I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Panny 12-35mm now. This will likely become my "kit" lens.

13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Lol, this is just proves that Panasonic is the main driving force behind Micro 4/3. Olympus is either completely lost or asleep at the wheel, I don't know what's worse.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Apparently when it comes to zooms, Olympus no longer has the ability to make fast ones. All of their m4/3 zooms are f/3.5-5.6 or slower.

If the 75-300 is any indication, price will likely be quite high as well. Of course some people will still buy it because of the 'Zuiko' label, but you can count me out. Even if it's sharp (a very big if), there's be no way to keep to base ISO in anything less than full sunlight and get sharp images at 50mm. For me, that's a deal-breaker.

DH

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oddly, I'm buying Panny glass and Oly bodies, when you would have been able to convince me two years ago it'd be the other way around.

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  17. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Agreed. The 12-35 indoors*, and 14-140 outdoors will cover 65% of what I need. The 7-14 and 20mm most of the remainder.

If I'm shooting sports, I'll probably break out the 50D and 70-200 2.8 ( + TC when needed). If Panny ever offers high quality TCs to go with the 35-100*, the 50D would get very little use, I think.

*Assuming it's as fast and as sharp as we hope.

18. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    At f/6.3, that's all it can be. It's aimed at people upgrading from a P&S camera who will like the zoom range, and don't understand anything about f-stops and ISO. Then they'll wonder why all their "telephoto" shots are so noisy.

19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Maybe it collapses like the new Panny zoom?
    Maybe it comes with a free unicorn?

20. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Who needs that many zoom lenses anyway?:rolleyes:
    (12 or)14-20-45 and I would be soo happy:biggrin:
    At least with mft you get what FT never delivered, good and fast prime lenses.