Disappointed with Peak Capture Clip v2.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by hillwalkinggirl, Sep 29, 2015.

1. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    After watching all the videos on the above clip I decided to send off for one as I thought it would be just what I needed. Well it arrived today so I set about attaching it to my rucksack. After much struggling I just about managed to get it on, but I was not impressed with how short the screws were, they certainly were not very secure. I then tried it on 2 other rucksacks with the same problem. Even though I eventually managed to get one to just about hold I found that the Panasonic G6 or my GX7 did not balance well on it and the camera leaned quite a way from my body. I also tried it on the webbing belt of my rucksack. Again too tight, but just about on (this would make it very difficult to move the clip around), but how ever taught I pulled my waist strap the camera always hung at a awkward angle. I think it's really bad that they only provide short screws and then sell the longer ones at a premium price, and I also think that a lot more work needs doing on the design. It was for these reasons that I decided to return it. I still wait in hope for a decent solution to carry my camera and keep it ready when out hiking on the mountains.:dash2:

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Too bad your experience wasn't up to expectations - I've used the Peak Design capture clip since the original version (I still do, don't feel the need to upgrade) and it has served me well for everything from a Canon 5D mark II to an E-M1 with a big honkin' lens on it. I love it, one of the best accessories I've ever purchased for hiking/travel. I will say a heavier body/lens combo can get annoying hanging off one shoulder so I tend to alternat between hanging it off a strap (peak design leash) off the right shoulder, and clipping it in, particularly where footing is uncertain or clambering around is required.

Out of interest, what backpacks were you mounting it on? I have zero trouble fitting it on my two F-Stop gear packs and my cheapo day pack, but I can see how it would be tough fitting it to a more traditional, heavily padded strap pack (My McKinley would not be an ideal fit).

Where were you hanging the capture that you felt it didn't balance well? Was this with the snugged down tensioning bolt? I find mounting it just below the collarbone on the left strap works very well for me; it bounces a little, but particularly with a snug, well-fitted shoulder strap with chest strap snugged down, it balances just fine. You don't need the capture to be super super tight, just finger tight is enough to keep it properly in place IMO. I'm not sure whether this is partly a men/women difference or problem, considering most backpacks are not particularly well tailored to the female form (longer torso, different chest geometry and the like).

3. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I didn't warm up to it either. Never liked how the camera protrudes from your chest and bounces around with every step.
    And the fact that it focuses all the weight onto one shoulder again killed it for me.

MindShift Gear's 'Ultralight Camera Cover' is what I'm using for now.
    (I only wish they'd make a version without integrated belt, that I could attach to my regular gear belt.)

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I bought the original Capture and used it for a while, but only ever liked it with a small and light camera like the Nikon V1 with its tiny plastic lenses. I also found the short screws problematic. And any heavier camera hung down in a way I found uncomfortable.

Subsequently I got the Spider Black Widow which I love. Since I have an RRS L-plate on my E-M1, I attached the Spider pin to a small Arca/Swiss clamp and can easily put it on or off with no tools, or switch it to the vertical plate, etc. I even rigged up a way to attach it to the waist belt of my F-Stop pack. If I'm walking around the city, I can just put the Black Widow on my belt and go.

5. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    They have longer screws for backpacks like what you have. They accommodate a think strap. I love my Capture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I use my Capture Clip on my backpack with a Pro Pad and the longer screws. I usually don't leave my camera attached to the Clip, but it's a great place to park it we I need free hands, or I'm changing my lens.

7. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah, about those screws. I got to the point where I thought that sometimes it was really hard to mount, and sometimes it was easy. I eventually figure out that for my v2, the screw posts were not firmly attached to the cap. At some point on one side I was unscrewing the cap not the threaded part.. I had a ton of threaded post inside the clip - hence the perception that the posts were short. Once I backed it all out, made sure the threads were firmly attached to the caps, I haven't had any other problems.

Mounted to a camelback strap at the collarbone makes mine stable enough to ride a mountain bike with any lens but the 100-300. Where I point the lens makes a difference in comfort.

8. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I totally agree with OP, with this statement:
    Even though I eventually managed to get one to just about hold I found that the Panasonic G6 or my GX7 did not balance well on it and the camera leaned quite a way from my body.

I haven`t been able to use mine since I bought it, I got it in spare in case I figure out someway to use it in the future, but it`s just collecting dust atm.
    I would never recommend this to anyone I know, if they got anything equal or larger then my equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    After reading through all the comments, the conclusion that I have come to is that this clip doesn't seem to work well with the G6 or the GX7 as stated by Sniksekk. Maybe it could work better on a different body, but still doesn't alter the fact that the supplied screws were far too short. I tried all their tips on taking the plate completely apart and compressing the strap and eventually managed to get it on though not I would say in anyway that gave me confidence. Surely with the price of this clip they could afford to put longer screws in. The rucksacs which I tried were my Lowepro Fastpack 100, my Kata bumblebee, and my normal hiking Low Alpine Eclipse ND14. I wouldn't consider any of these unduly large. I'm glad I bought it from Amazon as I was able to send it back.

12. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I don't think the suitability of the Capture clip is that dependent on the camera alone. I use it with the G6 and G7 all the time. Other factors like lens, supporting strap, activity and personal preference are more important.

13. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    This is very true. I have used my Capture Clip with my E-M 10 and the 40-150 PRO + MC-14. I don't run marathons with it attached like that, but it is doable.

I also made a 90 degree angle plate and I have mountain biked with my camera taking a time lapse using the 7.5 fisheye and the 9-18 wide zoom. No issues with either other than the angle needs to be less than 90 degrees to see truly horizontal.