Disappointed in Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by landshark, May 24, 2012.

1. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Just got an e-mail from Olympus saying my batteries will not ship out for two more weeks, I have on order at B&H as well for almost 2 months, nothing, sad, I do not want to use off brand but they are forcing me there. I also wanted a second body as well, that wait has been for months too.
    All of this is especially disappointing since it seems that all is available in other countries.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Hard to say how popular something is going to be. I'd say Olympus underestimated demand. As for available in other countries, I've read Micro 4/3 is least popular in US so taking care of your installed base and best markets is not a bad strategy if that is what they are doing.

My batteries shipped from BH today and I ordered them 3/27 I believe with my camera. Camera shipping today also. :)

Semper fi
  3. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    I was told by the Olympus USA store by phone that the batteries would not be in until the middle of June. Then, one was shipped to me the next day with one day delivery. You may want to give them a call.

Either they move up people who call or they don't know very well when they will be in.
  4. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I understand under estimating demand for and/or creative marketing for the camera itself, but no extra batteries for those that have bought a camera is bad, a lot of people do not buy an extra, most buy one and some like me would like two extra, so where are they
  5. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    #1 disappointment = I hate how you can't use IBIS in Video-mode with MF/adapted/legacy lenses

Olympus!!! Fix this in a FW now!!!
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Try getting your OMD and it craps out right in the store. Have now been waiting over a month for one that works...the price of using new technology. Now there bringing out a new lense and some retailers say they can't get the hood, not much good without a hood!?!
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I thonk it's instructive to note that the Nikon D800 has similar problems. This is hardly unique to Olympus. At least thry don't chip the batteries, so Chinese knockoffs work properly. I am looking at you, Panasonic and Sony.
  8. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    These are the risks of being an early adopter. Nothing to do with Olympus in particular.

I was an early adopter of the Pentax K-7. Fortunately, lots of people were bashing it, so I got the camera and batteries within record speed. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I would not worry too much about off-brand batteries. I've had a few no-name batteries for Canon cameras and they all worked at least as well as the original.
  10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I had the OMD with no extra batteries for the 10 days or so of shooting in New York I had it for. I was worried, but I never once killed the battery. Came close once or twice, but that was well over 400 shots and that's a HUGE day of shooting for me. Now I have a couple of third party backups and whenever B&H gets to me in the back-order queue, I'll have another OEM battery. I'm not mad - they're evidently swamped with demand for this camera (good for them - good for us in the long run), and I'm doing OK as is and the batteries will come eventually.

11. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I appreciate the heads ups ton the battery performance, but if I have only one battery the camera will stay home on my next trip. I have never fully trusted generics, other than in an emergency, and none of the generics so far will charge in the original charger. While I am very happy that Olympus seems to have a hit with the EM5, the lack of backup support is troubling, it is one thing to have to wait it is another to have no idea when product might arrive.