1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Disappointed at G3 performance @ football game

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f8andbethere, Aug 18, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

I went out today to shoot some pix of our local 10 and under football team. Usually I take two DSLRs with me. One with an 80-200 f/2.8 and the other with a wide angle lens. Both cameras allow me to shoot up to 8 fps. Today I brought the G3 with the 14-45mm as my wide angle. Apparently it does not have the ability to shoot at multiple frames per second in still picture mode. I wasn't expecting 8 fps, but 3 or 4 would have been nice.I was also quite disappointed at the shutter lag time. I was in aperture priority mode and AFC. The camera just does not seem designed to handle fast moving sports.

I'm hoping that someone can point out where I have gone wrong. If not then I am going to find it very difficult to sell off my second DSLR.

2. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Try it in AFS next time. Also, which burst mode were you using?

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Not to ask a stupid question but did you set the camera to continuous shot? Both my NEX and GX1 needs to be set to Burst mode in order to do it. Also, doesn't the G3 have a 20fps low resolution (4mp) burst mode as well?

4. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

I didn't have it set in a burst mode which sounds like that is where the problem lies. I looked in the manual for "frames per second" which is how my Nikon operates. There wasn't anything with those words. I've only had the camera about a week and so I am still learning. Also, on my Nikon there is a dial on top that sets the FPS as opposed to using a menu. So far as AFS is concerned the manual says to use AFC for moving subjects which is the same as my Nikon.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think you'll be disappointed with the G3 even in burst mode. I think it tops out at 2fps at full res. If fast fps shooting is important, a NEX would be a better solution. At full res it shoots at 10fps.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In burst mode the G3 takes 4 FPS at full res (20 FPS at 4MP), and there are Micro 4/3 bodies that shoot at higher FPS so no need to look to NEX for that.

7. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    For me the AFC on the G3 has never really worked that well so I leave it in AFS. There was a thread started about motorsport photos and I think the general consensus was better results using AFS mode with the G3.

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm not sure about that. NEX struggles just as much as m43 in tracking, which is the real problem here. E-M5 can cap out at 9FPS (and in my experience, a little more, tho it hits the buffer fast)

To the OP, m43 just has a huge weakness in sports (and fast action in general). Is it doable? Of course. But you'll have to relearn how to shoot. It won't be like your nikon DSLR gear.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    x2

AFS - my guess is most of the action is moving side to side anyways, so you may even want to just lock the focus (by AF then switch to MF).

Medium burst mode maintains live view, 3 FPS. There is a fast burst at 4 FPS, but it blacks out, and then the reduced res 20 fps.

I have had little issue with aircraft going WAY faster than your son.