disappearing histogram on GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by isabel95, Oct 22, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was shooting at a balloon festival today and a histogram kept disappearing. I don't recall that happening when I first got the camera a few days ago. Is that normal behavior?

(I realize that I must have been accidentally hitting the display button when I moved the wheel.)

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Is there a time setting for it? Mebbe you just never noticed it, or never has the LCD on long enuf befor! Or is there a button you might be misclicking thatshutsit off?

- Eliot

3. isabel95

I guess my hands were so cold...

that I couldn't feel the display button and hit it inadvertently when I was using the wheel above it.

Thanks for the input.

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    np :)
    i know i hit buttons sometimes with warm hands! so thought it might be that. if it were my mother, none of the buttons would work, period ;) her and my father claim that she failed "button pressing 101"

5. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    I've noticed that sometimes the histogram will appear only on the screen and not in the viewfinder. This happens both with my GH1 and my partner's G2. Or am I overlooking something simple?

6. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Are you using iAuto?

I purchased an excellent book on the G2 and below is an excerpt from it on the Histogram on the G2. I hope this solves your problem.

A Histogram in Intelligent Auto Mode The histogram display is activated by the MENU/SET> CUSTOM>HISTOGRAM option being set to [ON]. But when the camera is in the Intelligent Auto Mode (iA button activated), the CUSTOM menu does not show this command. While the iA button is activated, the camera assumes much of its settings from the already set menu options. If you would like the histogram displayed while in Intelligent Auto Mode and it is not, deactivate the iA button and press the MENU/SET button. Then navigate to the CUSTOM menu. The HISTOGRAM command should display on the CUSTOM menu’s first page. Set the option to [ON] and press the MENU/SET button to save the setting. Reactivate the iA button and the histogram should now appear.

Matsumoto Ph.D, Brian; Carol Roullard (2011-04-14). The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 (p. 52). Rocky Nook. Kindle Edition. ​

7. isabel95

Thank you, Brian....

I realize that since it was 35 degrees out, my hands were very cold and I couldn't feel the buttons very well...I think I was accidentally pressing the display button while I was adjusting settings with the wheel.

I also pressed the wheel inwards OFTEN when I was just trying to roll it.

Isabel

8. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    g3

don't know if this helps but on my g3 when histogram is on it is always on in the viewfinder but if i wan't it on the lcd i need to touch the DISP. on the lcd.
    DISP.ON THE TOUCH SCREEN TURNS HISTO. ON AND OFF ON THE LCD.again this is on my G3 but maybe it will help .

• Like Like x 1
  9. isabel95

That's exactly what my problem was...

I was inadvertently hitting the display button when I was using the wheel above it. My hands were very cold and I couldn't feel the buttons very well.

10. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    i found that the histo. on g3 can be turned on and off in the viewfinder and on lcd by pressing the display button on the camera body. but the disp .button on lcd only runs the histo.on the lcd.

• Like Like x 1
  11. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    I've finally twigged! The display button only turns the histogram on and off according to whether you're using LCD or viewfinder, ie whichever you're using is the display that responds.