Dirty sensor?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Jul 9, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I took a good hard look at my E-P2 sensor and decided it's dirty: not dust, but rather what looks like very small dried moisture dots. They become visible with a strong light at the appropriate angle.

I used Eclipse swabs (twice) with no effect. It's almost as if the 'water marks' are under the IR filter that covers the sensor.

The issue only becomes apparent when shooting at very high f-stops (11+), which means it almost never affects my pictures. The big exception is using the PinWide, which has an inherently very high f-stop (f96+). The spots show up as dark grey in the picture.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this? (Go ahead, be brave, take a close look at your sensor with a strong light, varying the angle so that you can really see the surface!) Not sure how I feel about it, being relatively anal about keeping my stuff in top condition...

2. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago. But the spot in my sensor was so large it was visible at any aperture. I use Copperhill quikstrips and Eclipse. That was the first time I cleaned a camera sensor,I was nervous so I slowly and carefully swabbing the sensor to no effect, the spot just won't go away it's frustrating. Then I got desperate and started to apply more pressure and swabbing more firmly. It took about an hour and about 40 quikstrips but the spot was gone. So I guess my suggestion to you is try to apply more pressure to your swabbing just be careful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Remember that you are cleaning the Low-Pass Filter, and not the sensor itself... if that will help ease you. ;)