Dirty Old Town

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by goldenlight, Apr 23, 2010.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The song "Dirty Old Town" is perhaps most associated with The Dubliners and therefore widely regarded as refering to Dublin but in fact it has been recorded by many artists over the years. It was written by a Mancurian, Ewan MacColl, and is actually about Salford. Indeed, the original lyric specifically refered to Salford but this was changed following representations from the local council who objected to Salford being described as a "Dirty Old Town."

Given that the true location of the town featured in the song has long since been misunderstood by popular belief it could be argued that it is valid for any location and, given the strong Irish connection, Bantry is as good a place as any.

Why Bantry? Well, I recently visited Bantry on several occasions during a holiday in the beautiful south west of Ireland and became facinated by the run down nature of part of the town, partly the result of the Recession and partly through natural aging. They say the camera never lies, but it's important to understand that in this case it presents a very distorted picture of the truth. Bantry is in fact a beautiful, vibrant and busy town with much to commend it. I chose to represent it through a small aspect which facinated me but is by no means a true representation of this wonderful place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IRELAND_2010_P_071_e_c_r_s.

IRELAND_2010_P_082_e_c_r_s.

IRELAND_2010_P_062_e_c_r_s.

IRELAND_2010_P_086_e_r_s.

IRELAND_2010_P_415_e_c_r_s.

[​IMG]

IRELAND_2010_568_e_c_r_s.

IRELAND_2010_583_e_r_s.

IRELAND_2010_P_464_e_r_s.

The odd one out in this set is the last. It was actually taken in Dingle but, given the subject matter of the shop window, I thought this really was indicative of a "dirty old town." I wonder how many they sell - and wether it has real hair? :wink:

Hope you enjoyed looking. All pictures taken as Jpeg on Panasonic G1 with 14-45mm lens.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hey John, great series, well captured, I love this "dirty own town".
    Enjoy your weekend shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much for these photos and your introduction to the series. I really enjoyed reading and looking - a very picturesque town, clearly with a few oddities.:wink:

Great colors in these and you obviously knew what you were doing with your exposures and your eye.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    great to see - Ireland is (can be) beautiful and also mysterious

Obviously these shots show some of that plus the poverty that still exists in the South and West

A really good insight, you can feel the place from them

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I second Herman on that ... great series :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    What a colourful town! You have captured it quite well. I really enjoyed your views of it.

• Like Like x 1