1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dirt cheap GH1 questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by elpanda, Jul 8, 2012.

1. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Hi guys!

I just bought a used GH1 to compliment my E-PL2 and apart from the fact that it's read, I really like it so far ^^

I do have a couple of questions on it though:
    - Is there a way to setup a button for the manual focus assist? It works well when hooking up a native lens and focusing since it will trigger automatically, but it of course doesn't do it on its own with legacy glass.
    - My camera is apparently running the firmware 1.4, which as far as I can tell doesn't exist. This specific camera appears to be Japanese so I don't know if that has anything to do with it (all the menus are in english thankfully).
    Would that be an issue to hack it? Is there a possibility to downgrade the firmware to 1.32?

Thanks in advance :)

2. The GH1 doesn't have a one-touch shortcut button for magnified focus assist. You need to press left arrow, then OK to get the magnified view. Half-pressing the shutter button returns you to the full-screen view.

• Like Like x 1
  3. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Oh I see, fairly similar to the E-PL2 actually.

Thanks for that! :)

4. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    It is a very nice camera. You get the most out of it with LR 4. You can pull so much more out of the RAWs with it.

I am guessing that your camera has been hacked with the high bit rate video from our Russian friend. If it was a Japanese camera, hacking also unlocked English menus from the Japanese firmware and also allows you to use third party batteries...that is, it disables the chip, so allegedly you get auto shut off and battery life readings from third party batteries,

You have to dig around for it, but read about the hack on internet. Make sure you are GH1 and not any of the other Panasonics that Vitaly has hacked.

One thing that is a PITA, is the hacked camera no longer works with the Panasonic supplied video software. You have to get real video editing software.

• Like Like x 1
  5. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    I think it's definitely been hacked, but they don't appear to have changed the video bitrate (the Full HD AVCHD mode is set to 18Mbits/s, which I believe is stock).

I guess they mostly did it for the english menus and, I'm guessing, third party battery hack.

I've looked into the hacking methods and it seems as easy as pie, so I'll definitely be looking into pushing this camera's capabilities a bit further :-D

BTW, I'm fine with not being able to use Panasonic's video editing software!

Thanks for the great infos!

I'm still getting to know this great piece of kit, quite a different camera from my E-PL2!
    The only thing that's slowing me down at the moment is that my friends actually got me an Olympus OM-2 as a birthday gift a day after I got the GH1 so I'm currently playing a bit more with it! I think I have too many options at the moment! :-D

Edit: I've just tried to load a custom firmware on the camera, but when I keep the "Play" button pressed to load the firmware, nothing happens. I'm wondering if that 1.4 version thingy might be the "unhackable" 1.34 version I've read about online.
    Oh well, I've done some side-by-side tests with the E-PL2 and the stock video from the GH1 obliterates the E-PL2 so I don't think I'm gonna complain too much ^^

6. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Reviving an old thread to ask a followup: does the GH1 have a manual focus assist magnification box in video mode or only in the stills modes?

7. digi2ap

digi2ap Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2011
    London
    It has manual focus assist in both photo and video.