1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Direction of focusing by brand

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gsk3, Sep 8, 2015.

1. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I learned on Nikon, which if I remember correctly focuses the opposite direction from native m4/3 lenses. It's made manual focusing a little more difficult than I'd like, but I've gotten over it.

Now I'm starting to look for some lenses to adapt but I can't find a listing of which direction they focus anywhere. Is Nikon the only one that focuses "backwards"? Just to be clear, the m4/3 lenses focus counter-clockwise, in the sense that from the shooter's position behind the camera, turning the ring left (counter-clockwise) focuses towards infinity.

So which manufacturers' lenses focus the same direction as Oly/Panny?

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Canon focuses the same as m4/3 and Fuji/Nikon focus the opposite.

3. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    What about Samyang/Rokinon, Tokina, Sigma?

4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I am not 100% positive but from my memory they focus the same direction as the mount they are made in. I.E. say the Sigma 150-600, it will focus the same direction as Nikon if it is a Nikon mount and then the same direction as Canon if in a Canon mount.

Before shooting µ4/3 I shot Fuji for a year and the backwards focusing from Canon that I shot for over 20 years bugged the hell out of me. I was so happy when I switched to Olympus that I was back to what for me was normal focus direction. When I shot Canon my Sigma 150-500 and Tokina 11-16 focused the same as my Canon lenses. I assume the same is true for Nikon mount lenses but I have never used Nikon so I cannot say. It would seem odd if they did not follow the mount they are made in as it would really mess with people and for me would be enough that I would not want to use a third party lens that focused backwards.

5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Something else that is different between brands is the direction that you turn the lens to mount/unmount. Olympus/Panny and Canon are the same direction and Nikon/Fuji are the opposite.

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If it bothers you that much, you do know that you can change from either clockwise to counter-clockwise on both Olympus and Fuji bodies. I have both my Olympus and Fuji camera set the same way so that when I switch between cameras, MF ring direction is set the same.

EDIT: Ooops. I misread the OP. Now that I re-read it, I know he was talking about adapted lenses.

7. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Phocal - The mounting direction is annoying but less of an issue.

From what I've read the 3rd party lenses all go one direction within a brand (they don't flip them when they change the mount). Just not sure which goes which direction.

Tyrphoto- I'd forgotten about that, but not an issue with adapted lenses (unless I go with Nikon for everything, which would be hard since I already have some OM lenses).