1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

direct ISO control via dial

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rudy, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    When shooting with manual lenses I would really like to assign the ISO selection to one of the wheel dials of my EM-5 or EP-5.
    This would allow full control of speed ISO and aperture (via the lens itself).
    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to do this, or have I missed something here?
    Can any other MFT camera be set up to do this?
    The closest I could get to this is flipping the selector switch on the EP-5 which then allows me to adjust the ISO with one of the dials.
    However, the other dial is then forced to white balance selection, which is really dumb...
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You could turn on Auto-ISO in manual mode. Then with the switch in position 1 you are controlling Shutter speed and aperture with the two dials and you can see in the viewfinder what the resulting ISO is.

Alternatively you can learn to click the switch quickly by feel and control the ISO when it is in postion 2.

What you really want is three dials.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Rudy you've made a great point, but aaargh,
    shame about the forced WB on the other dial : very silly in my opinion.

Maybe eventually another model or firmware update will offer more sensible pairs on the selction.

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Thumb: Lever to 2.
    Forefinger: Adjust ISO on front dial.
    Thumb: Lever to 1.

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    That's what I do, but there should really be no need to have to change the lever.
    aperture on lens
    shutter on front dial
    ISO on back dial
    Alas, Olympus does not allow for this setting...
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The camera could also just detect that it can't adjust the aperture on the attached lens, due to lack of communications and automatically change the aperture wheel to an ISO wheel...
    Rudy

7. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    On my EM5 I've assigned the movie button to ISO...

8. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Is there any MFT camera out there that allows shutter speed to be on one and ISO on a second control wheel?
    Can the EM-1 or GX-7 do this? or any other from Panasonic?

9. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    cant assign the dial for iso on an EM1 in any mode, other than in lever mode 2.. they really dont give much choice for dial function, You would think in Aperture or shutter mode at least you should be given a few more options to use on the second dial in modes that only require one, but they dont. best we can do is use the lever or set a button for iso.. You could shoot in bracketing at different iso settings maybe? I dont find it too hard or slow to change iso just by using the SCP but then I dont do it very often during a shoot

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Fn2 for me. One of the reasons I got the E-M5 over other mirrorless options was the highly customizable buttons. But...I do wish that they let you put any option on any button...some buttons can't be programmed at all, seemingly completely arbitrarily (that's a lot of -ly words haha). I don't get why not all of the arrow buttons can be customized or why your options are limited on the buttons that can be customized...I'm still very happy with it, but it seems like it would have taken no extra effort to let us have limitless customizability.

11. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    This is a deficiency in the firmware.

It was the first thing I wanted to set, and I remain sorely disappointed Olympus does not recognise the importance of ISO!

• Like Like x 2
  12. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    The EM1 does give more options to assign to buttons and the arrows than the Em5, but still they lack on available settings that would be helpful, yet they give you a lot of ones I wouldnt think are used too often.. If I set a button to MF, and use lever mode 5, the MF option goes away, I just wanted to have mine able to switch focus modes quickly, that drives me nuts and I dont see any reason it should but it does, and why not be able to assign a button to cycle through AF modes, seems they left out lots of options that would be most helpful, for me at least, why not allow for a button to be set to anything you can set in the SCP menu

• Like Like x 1
  13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm 100% with you on this. As I've said, I'm happy with the level of customization Olympus offered two years ago compared to the competition (though the competition has to some extent caught up now), but I don't get why so much of it is seemingly arbitrarily limited. Surely, it would have been a few more lines of coding to let any button do any of the available options.

I, too, like having AF/MF on a switch, and what you describe would drive me up the wall. This whole thing, combined with the utter fail of the MySets implementation on the E-M5 has left the camera quite disadvantaged compared to what it could have been.

14. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Yes, you can assign a button to switch to MF in any lever mode but mode 5, and I even called Oly about it and they didnt know what I was talking about till they tried it themselves, and they didnt have an answer why that is, and they said they would go back to Japan and ask and let me know either way, but I never heard back from them at all.. was hoping it would be fixed in Ver 2 FW, but nope...

I mostly shoot birds, so I want to be able to use SAF/MF normally, set the lever mode 5 so I can have that set to CAF to switch quickly in case of flying birds, And I want a button to switch to MF as well for other things like macros etc or when I just dont want to keep shutter half pressed while I manually Focus, so now to do it I have to go back and reset things in the menu depending on what I am going out shooting, or switch to MF in the SCP if out in the field
    Just dont get why that option goes away in lever mode 5, it doenst make any sense to me why it would have to. I have pretty much given up on CAF for birds on my EM1 anyway, and got a canon for that, so not so important to me now, but still would like the option

• Like Like x 1
  15. Guarneri

Guarneri New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2014
    On my EM1, I set one of the front Fn buttons to ISO, so to change it quickly all I have to do is press and hold it with my middle finger and rotate the rear dial. Very quick and easy.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think Auto ISO can be set in Manual mode, which is a real shame. My old Pentax K-30 had it and it proved very useful at times.

16. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Yes you are missing something - it is an option you can turn on.
    Look at the options, group E. ISO-Auto. The default is P/A/S. The other option is All, meaning that you can turn it on for M as well.

17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    It is so simple, quick , and easy to press a button or flip a lever and then control a function like ISO! ISO controls even on many of most expensive cameras are this way !

Today's cameras are so much better than having to set and use a single ASA (ISO) for whole roll of film! Even if you had use the SCP!

How many Olympus and Panasonic m4/3s lenses are designed to control Aperture from the lens? I'm guessing not many. So part of the triad direct control of Aperture, Shutter, ISO concept is already a mute issue.

This is about bassakwards!

Then there is the manual focus issue - simply set S-AF+MF and just turn the focuing ring on the lens when you want manual focus - how hard is that. Although the C-AF+MF on 4/3s was nice - it is not missed by many.

Realizing that manufactures cannot make every item to fit everyone's desire and whims, and then learning how to most effectively use the item allows one to get on with the important aspect of their lives - or change brands to something that better suits them. In the case of ISO - lot's luck with that.

BTW - I hear "MySets" are great for setting up significantly different controls.

18. Pdunnuck

Pdunnuck New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2014
    Onalaska, TX
    I have it set for the first button on front of the camera...push button, turn from wheel!

QUOTE=Rudy;713574]When shooting with manual lenses I would really like to assign the ISO selection to one of the wheel dials of my EM-5 or EP-5.
    This would allow full control of speed ISO and aperture (via the lens itself).
    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to do this, or have I missed something here?
    Can any other MFT camera be set up to do this?
    The closest I could get to this is flipping the selector switch on the EP-5 which then allows me to adjust the ISO with one of the dials.
    However, the other dial is then forced to white balance selection, which is really dumb...
    Rudy[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Hi Clint,
    I take it you don't shoot with manual lenses, which is what my question was about.
    I can't think of many manual lenses that don't have an aperture wheel. When adapting these to use on the Olympus MFT bodies one of the wheels will control nothing, i.e. the aperture.
    I would suggest that being able to set this useless wheel to control the ISO would be a better use. Doing this automatically when the camera does not recognize a lens also seems to be a logical UI behavior as the camera would obviously not be able to control the aperture of a lens it does not recognize.
    Manual focus assist with legacy lenses also obviously does not benefit from the ability to turn it on when you turn the focus by wire ring. Luckily there a plenty of function buttons that can be set to turn this on.
    All the buttons on the camera are simple switches that are read by a computer which then interprets these. There is really little reason to not allow any setting for any button with the exception of the menu button which needs to stay. This is actually much easier to program than the convoluted mess that the Olympus settings allow or prohibit.
    To your last point, MySets are very poorly implemented and they also do not allow you to program any combinations that you can't set to begin with.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Is that on the EM-1?
    Rudy