Direct competitor to Olympus PEN camera?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Ned, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I just found a new PEN camera that's made by some new upstart named Swann! It's more compact than the Olympus PEN camera, and it takes photos and stills like the Olympus PEN camera, and... it's 1/5th the cost of the cheapest Olympus PEN camera, at regular price! This PEN camera is selling for only $99.98, on sale for $69.98. Should Olympus be concerned...?

pencam_web.

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I wonder what the lens choices are? LOL

3. Get the legal department onto it.

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    But the Olypus Pen come with free refills ...

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    While we're discussing the outrageous, uncompetitive price of the Olympus PEN, I may as well share my other complaint about the extremely poor quality of the Olympus PEN.

This is my second Olympus PEN, and both have busted after a relatively short term of usage. The clicker at the end of this one had fallen off, while the first one had broken clean in two from the middle. The Olympus PEN's are very poorly crafted and made out of really cheap, lightweight plastic. I think Olympus should really work on beefing up their PEN series a lot better.

busted_olympus_pen_web.

6. The sharpening algorithm is interesting

pencil-sharpener-01. "400" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So is this a sneak preview of the E-P3? They weren't kidding about it being smaller than the E-PL2!!! And I'm guessing lens choices are back, blue, or red. Does it use a mini sd card or wi-fi maybe...

8. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i wonder what kind of art filters are available? pencil sketching filter mode perhaps?

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ROFLMAO!!

You KNOW that your text will now wind up in search results for "Olympus PEN", be taken completely out of context, and used in some reviewer's preference for the G3, or E-P3. I can see Ken Rockwell's write up now!!

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    This must be Oly's 'Signature' Series.

G

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The new Pen Cam with Bic Lenses and Olympus Ink ...

Photography and Penmanship

Every Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

First camera which knows no boundaries ... Allows you to compose like Cartier-Bresson, Shakespeare and Mozart

12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'm really enjoying this thread.

13. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    allows you to 'compose' in real time and select your framing carefully. comes in a4 resolution as standard. cropping is also done in real time.

Now allowing you greater freedom beyond a touchpad. The Olympus PEN. "There's no limit to where we draw the line."